Steering/Tie Rod/Tie Rod End/Camber Issue

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
So a couple of weekends ago I was finally installing my drivers side front Brembo caliper, I was replacing the tie rod end and I ended up turning the tie rod multiple times trying to get the tie rod end undone (someone had used loctite :( ) once everything was back together I realised that the toe was out and the wheel had a lot more camber than before.

I've tried fixing the toe and its pretty close to being right but the steering feels different/weird/not right and theres a lot less thread on both drivers side and passenger side tie rods.

Heres some pics of how the front wheels sit/look.

Drivers Side:

20150317_184303_zpsuaxptqtz.jpg
20150317_184317_zpsbmsqn0iu.jpg

Passenger Side:

20150317_184324_zpsmhohdpm7.jpg
20150317_184329_zpsjalb3ayk.jpg

What have I gone and cocked up now?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Yeah could be that easy but wouldn't want to drive it far to find out either way...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
not much you can do on camber.. but toe in/out is something you can adjust...

if you want camber adjustment, you will need to ask TME_Steve for front camber stuff..

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
The camber was fine before I changed the hub carrier and tie rod end, so Im assuming that that has caused the drivers side wheel to have more camber

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
not much you can do on camber.. but toe in/out is something you can adjust...

if you want camber adjustment, you will need to ask TME_Steve for front camber stuff..
Ha Ha if you can get @TME_Steve to get off his ass and get the bushes made:sleep:

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
Thats what Im hoping, I know its definitely not from the teins as they were already in the car and the camber was fine lol

Im stumped

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
Wow I have too much lock (never thought I'd be saying that hahaha)

So the result of having not a lot of thread left on the tie rods is heaps of lock, which isnt good as the tyres rub on bits.

I plan to jack the car up and undo the tie rod ends/wind them to where they used to be to try fix it.

Will my plan work? lol

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
not anymore due to the balljoints hitting the top plate too much..

Steve's options is better..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I'm making some more up shortly, I'm just waiting on the bushes to arrive :)

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
Hmm that is weird, I can't think how that would happen, definitely check it for alignment. Btw Reece did you change LHS axles when you converted it to manual?

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
It was changed. The drivers side should be the same as the passengers side

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
One possible reason for different camber is that the "arm" on the carrier is bent. This is likely to happen in the event of an accident or a very big knock.

The steel that these are made from isn't overly brittle (and you wouldn't want it to be) so it bends when hit hard.

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
One possible reason for different camber is that the "arm" on the carrier is bent. This is likely to happen in the event of an accident or a very big knock.

The steel that these are made from isn't overly brittle (and you wouldn't want it to be) so it bends when hit hard.

Hmm I did think that this could be the case, since I dont know the history of the FL hub carriers I got off Carsten.

Bugger

Top Bottom