Electric power steering

Moose

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
Legnum
Has anyone converted to electric power steering?
My pump has started to whine and weighing up my options and considering using an Astra pump or similar one

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
A few people have gone astra pump.

My 2c is of your going through the effort to remove the engine driven hydraulic pump, do it properly and remove all the hydraulics and go for a Yaris or Barina direct electric assist column. Allows you to change the feel of the steering on a trimpot.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
A few people have gone astra pump.

My 2c is of your going through the effort to remove the engine driven hydraulic pump, do it properly and remove all the hydraulics and go for a Yaris or Barina direct electric assist column. Allows you to change the feel of the steering on a trimpot.
I have seen the Toyota unit and someone I know is using them for a kit car series - tidy unit.
A few of the boys now are using a Merc pump that is smaller than the Astra and available cheap new.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Quite a few guys here in NZ use the GM column (holden spark amongst others) you can buy a little box that replaces the body control module and allows you to manually select the ammountof steering assist which is nice. As factory they vary the assist level depending on vehicle speed etc

Mister_Bishi

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ezra
Drive
Mitsubishi
I have seen the Toyota unit and someone I know is using them for a kit car series - tidy unit.
A few of the boys now are using a Merc pump that is smaller than the Astra and available cheap new.
To add onto this, merc pump is on the left and astra pump is on the right. Bit of a size comparison for those interested

0BFF6664-CA5E-46AD-B110-272FE22EE08D.jpeg

Moose

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
Legnum
Merc pump looks the goods compared to the astra pump

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
About to fit Astra pump in a 308-powered bedford van for my father in-law but the merc pump looks much easier to work with.

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Pearl White 1998 PFL Legnum
I was planning on doing the Merc setup for mine- @Mister_Bishi got that one off me in return for some fab work.
I came here to ask about STEERING RACK RATIOS though.
Has anyone found a shorter ratio rack option for us at all? Evo racks are shorter length wise so I’m guessing this will bring all kinds of other issues let alone mounting them. I was wondering if there’s something else like an Outlander or other Mitsubishi which could be an option for us?
Cheers!

Top Bottom