Electric window problem

G

Unregistered
Well as a few may already know, the auto up and down on the power windows gets deactivated when the car gets complied for some reason?

Well the good news is that after a lot of help from Christian (but506) we know what the problem is and can easily get it all functioning like it should

What the complience workshop has done is remove the contacts
IMGP3533-Edited.jpg

So all you need to do is find an old remote of some kind (TV,VCR or even a Cordless Phone) and super glue the contacts on in place of the missing ones
IMGP3537-Edited.jpg

And now all your window should work like Mitsubishi intended them to

Pics courtesy of BUT506

G

Unregistered
Aha! That's awesome! Good work guys, the Australian VR4 community owes you a debt, haha.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Our first technical guide!, perhaps we should start a Premium Members section and only give people this information if they can afford it! Yea...... oh, hang on... :rolleyes:

G

Unregistered
Was just playing around with my "unregistered" Vr4 today and realised that the complance workshop never disconnected the auto windows ... so if anyone needs photos to add to this guide of wat they normally look like I can rip my door off and take a photo ...

G

Unregistered
For the part time Engineers out their so you know the reason the RAW is told "Driver side power window control modified in accordance with modification instruction" as is required under ADR 42/04 General Safety Requirements which part of it is below.

But the short answer is against all cars not just the Legnum, this is usually done so that when a owner leaves their kid in the car and turns it off the kid cant have their head out of the window and have the windows still operating, they more then likely do not have pressure sensitive window regulators in them which stop's the window from closing if something is in between the glass and frame.

Another reason it may be disabled is if you walk off and lock the car some one cant just walk up with a coat hanger and push the button to open the windows as power is still connected.

Mods like this are for a good reason so before you do anything please think why the mod is done and don't go off at me for telling you this.

19.WINDOWS AND VENTILATION 19.1.General Requirements
At least half the number of windows must be capable of being opened or the vehicle must be provided with an alternative method of ventilation.
19.2.Ventilation
19.2.1.Omnibuses and N-group vehicles must be provided with a means of ventilation other than by means of windows and door openings.
19.2.2.Except in the case of omnibuses equipped with flow-through ventilation or refrigerated air-conditioning, the provision of an inlet air vent and at least two rotary vents or a hatch in the roof towards the rear of the passenger compartment as a means of ventilation is deemed to meet the provisions of this clause.
19.3.Power Operated Window Systems
19.3.1.Power operated window systems (for vehicles of category passenger car (MA); forward-control passenger vehicle (MB); and off-road passenger vehicle (MC) only)
19.3.1.1.“Power Operated Windows” are windows which are opened and closed by electric, hydraulic or pneumatic means.
19.3.2.Control of Operating Mechanism
19.3.2.1.Operation of power operated window systems must only be possible when the key that controls activation of the vehicle’s engine is in the “ON”, “START” or “ACCESSORY” position.
19.3.2.1.1.Exceptions are:
19.3.2.1.1.1.When the ignition switch has been actuated from “ON” to “OFF” position and/or the key has been removed and no front doors on the vehicle have been opened; or
19.3.2.1.1.2.When the key to lock the driver’s door is in the door lock; or
19.3.2.1.1.3.Upon activation by a key locking system on the exterior of the vehicle; or
19.3.2.1.1.4.When the ignition key has been removed the power operated window system may:
19.3.2.1.1.4.1.remain operational for not more than 45 seconds; and
19.3.2.1.1.4.2.if the driver’s window is operated within the 45 seconds period, the windows can remain operational for an additional period of not more than 45 seconds, after activation of the driver’s window switch; and
19.3.2.1.1.4.3.if the driver’s door is opened within the 45 seconds period, the power operated window system can remain operational for an additional period of not more than 45 seconds, after the opening of the driver’s door.
19.3.2.1.1.5.Remote closing is allowable through continuous operation of a remote actuation device provided that the remote actuation device must be incapable of closing the power window from a distance of more than 11 m from the vehicle.
19.3.2.2.For operation of rear window switches which are not situated in close proximity of the driver, the system must be designed to enable the driver to:
19.3.2.2.1.turn off the switch(es) of the closing mechanism(s) of the rear window(s); and
19.3.2.2.2.initiate opening of the rear window(s).
19.3.2.3.Requirement of clause 19.3.2.2.2 assumes that the rear window switch(es) which are situated out of the driver’s reach, will not be operated.
19.3.2.4.Only momentary type switches or valves must be used for operating mechanisms to close power operated windows except for the driver’s door window.
19.3.2.5.The requirements of clause 19.3.2.1 and clause 19.3.2.4 are not applicable if:
19.3.2.5.1.the closing movement of a power window starts at an opening not exceeding 4 mm, or
19.3.2.5.2.the closing of a power window of a vehicle’s door without upper door frame closes from an opening not exceeding 12 mm whenever the pertinent door is closed.
19.3.2.6.Notwithstanding clauses 19.3.2.1 and 19.3.2.4, a power operated window system may close if it is capable of the following requirements:
19.3.2.6.1.while closing, the window reverses direction before exerting a pinch force of 100N or more within the range of 200 mm to 4 mm beneath the top edge of the power window frame.
19.3.2.6.2.upon such reversal, the window must open to one of the following positions:
A position that permits a cylindrical rod 200 mm in diameter to be placed through the opening at the top edge of the window.
A position that is at least as open as the position at the time closing was initiated.
A position at least 50 mm more open than the position at the time reversing was initiated.
19.3.2.6.3.To check these devices, a measuring instrument/test rod is placed through the window
‘Opening’ from the inside of the vehicle such that the cylindrical surface of the rod contacts the structure which forms the boundary of the window. The force/deflection ratio of the measuring instrument/test rod must be at least 10 N/mm. Placements of the test rods are illustrated in Figure 6.
19.3.2.6.4.The technical requirements of FMVSS 118-FR VOL36 No. 232-02.12.1971- Power Operated Window System; as amended by FMVSS 118-FR VOL58 No. 60-31.03.1998 are deemed to be equivalent to the technical requirements of clause 18.3 of this national standard.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the legnum ones do back down again if someones head/arm/penis gets stuck in them though. They can also go down if you're driving along at high speed and have two windows open. The buffeting can confuse them!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
So are you saying that normally in a legnum the power windows still work even with the key in the off position? What about if the key is removed?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I haven't done full testing on any of mine, but the windows work for about 30 seconds or so after the car has been turned off.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I like the fact you can close the windows after the ignition has been turned off i always forget for some reason to close them, the time-out also works for the moonroof switch so you can close it after the ignition has been turned off

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
So are you saying that normally in a legnum the power windows still work even with the key in the off position? What about if the key is removed?

my current and previous Galant's power windows control still worked for about half a minute after removing the keys fromt he ignition.. I guess its an extra feature of these cars..

G

Unregistered
I wish my R33 had that feature - If I forget I need to grab the keys again and turn the car back on to open or close the windows! :(

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
I wish my R33 had that feature - If I forget I need to grab the keys again and turn the car back on to open or close the windows! :(
Hey, on my laurel they wouldn't work when the doors were closed, so try opening the door and shut them. I don't know why it was setup like that but it worked.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hiya,

I tried fixing mine up today but didn't have great success - I got the drivers window going but not the others (at one stage I had both front windows going but then tried to fix the back windows and made the fronts worse lol). I was too heavy handed on the super glue I think :(

So to people attempting this in future go easy on the glue and don't drink too much coffee as you need steady hands :)

I've heard of people fixing them via some kind of conductive ink pen which I think would be much easier but had no idea where to get one or what they are actually called.

I'll live with it for now - might just by a whole window control box from NZ in future. Gly - any idea what that might cost?

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
round $80au for a second hand one to your door (thats if i can find one)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You want something like this:

C496243-01.jpg

Its a conductive pen made by Circuit Works (although any other brand will do). You can get them from RS Components or Dick Smith Electronics. Might be able to get them from Tandy as well, not sure. Call some of your local electronics stores, I'm sure you'll be able to find one without too much difficulty :)

G

Unregistered
Just cut the legs off an old or new resistor, they only cost a few cents. Or a small bit of wire. Bend the wire and solder the connection. There is probably heaps of different ways to do it.

Has anyone tried closing all windows that are left open by puting the key in the door, locking it and holdind the key in the locked position? I know this owrks on some other cars?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
round $80au for a second hand one to your door (thats if i can find one)

Hmmm more than I feel like paying at the moment - thanks for the quick reply though.

I might have a look in Dick Smith sometime this week for one of those pens.

cheers

Lee

Minto_bug

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
'96 Legnum VR-4
Was just playing around with my "unregistered" Vr4 today and realised that the complance workshop never disconnected the auto windows ... so if anyone needs photos to add to this guide of wat they normally look like I can rip my door off and take a photo ...
Do you still have the photos? Cuz 15 years later and they're gone

Top Bottom