*ticking/clicking* from front slotted rotors

G

Unregistered
I quickly searched and couldn't find anything.

About 2 weeks ago I had a workshop fit DBA 4000 series rotors up front when I was getting a service, but currently they have standard pads on them (to be upgraded in the next 3-4 months). I had the front calipers rebuilt at the same time by a brake shop.

Since getting the car back it has a noticable *ticking* noise, especially when cold. At first, I put this down the pads needing to be bedded in - after all, the slots could be simply smacking against a *square* corner of the pads instead of a rounded corner.

However, I had a quick look on the DBA site and they say that because the rotors are lighter the rotors could be off centre, or slightly moving side to side because the hubs aren't clean and causing this ticking noise. Has anyone else had this problem? I've done about 600km since it was all fitted and now it's just annoying - even when warm you can hear it. The workshop told me that he sanded the hubs, cleaned the mounting face of my wheels and did everything he could to make the whole assembly clean.

Thanks to Kitty for reminding me (in a roundabout way) that I could actually ask the question here - I forgot I can ask questions instead of just throwing in my 2 cents all the time :ROFLMAO:

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Connor,

Dimpled and cross drilled rotor's generally make a noise like a chorus of Cicarta's, especially noticeable if your driving beside something like a road seperation barrier.... My slotted and dippled rotors do the same thing

That would be my call, other members will be able to confirm this or offer other explanations.....

G

Unregistered
Connor,

Dimpled and cross drilled rotor's generally make a noise like a chorus of Cicarta's, especially noticeable if your driving beside something like a road seperation barrier.... My slotted and dippled rotors do the same thing

That would be my call, other members will be able to confirm this or offer other explanations.....

Thanks for both a PM and posted reply ;)

I'd be interested if anyone has dead quiet operation, or maybe if an upgrade to ceramic or harder pads would get rid of this issue. I know the ceramic pads will squeal, that's not an issue, I love waking up my neighbours every morning as I pull out of the driveway...

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Just for clarification.... Connors rotors are slotted only rotors not crossed drilled as I'd assumed......

Do the slots on the 4000 series rotors extend out completely to the edge of the rotor or does the slot end a few mm in from the edge, might explain the noise if air is trapped inside the slots, is it like a high speed clacking noise....... or am I :drool: crap.......

G

Unregistered
Sorry if I caused confusion, here's a picture of the 4000 series that I have. I'll be putting the same on the rears in the coming months - kinda broke right now :)

DBA%204000%20Slotted%20Disc%20Rotor.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got 4000 on the rear and 5000 on the front, these are Brembo size though, 320 adn 300mm. There is a bit of clicking but if I'm honest I don't care. My primary focus on the calipers was changing the colour of as many of the paints as I could, only 2 so far :)

G

Unregistered
I have a similar noise but it is normal and very noticeable under braking. I have EBC grooved and dimpled discs. It was a bit of a surprise to hear the amount of noise the first time I used the brakes

G

Unregistered
My legum has jap brand slotted rotors and they are noticeable under brakes but no noise at all when driving.

Slotted rotors are a bit of a marketing ploy. There is no need these days for slotted rotors with the current range of brakepad material available

Top Bottom