Timing Belt and Water Pump Recommendations

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
While the engine is out of my legnum for the auto to manual conversion, I will most likely be replacing the water pump and timing belt.

The water pump is leaking, and I figure the timing belt may as well be replaced as its done 72,000kms now and probably hasnt been changed before.

So because my water pump is leaking, does this mean its shagged? Or could the leak be sealed up with some sealant pretty easily?

What recommendations do people have for a replacement? Should I just ring Mitsubishi parts? How much do these cost? Are there any aftermarket pumps that people recommend?

As for the timing/cam belt, I would assume my local mitsi parts dealer would be best? Do I need just the belt, or is there some form of kit I should be getting as well.

Is there anything else I should be doing while the engine is out?
Does it make the spark plug changover easier?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
camskill.co.uk mate

geniune parts = about $1200

camskill = $500 plus postage

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Tried contacting MEEK ?

www.meek.com.au

Water pump AFAIK is the same as the FTO. Dayco I think make the full timing belt kit for our cars. MEEK wil know, they've done it enough times now, including TWICE for me!

No need to go to Camskill in the UK for them..

AUSVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
'00 Mitsubishi Legnum
Where is it leaking from? If it's from the shaft then yes it's shagged and needs replacing. If it's just the gasket you COULD just re-seal it but when it goes (unless these cars are completely different - and someone will correct me) you'll need to take your timing belt off again to replace it with a new one.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Get your parts from Bill at ralliart NZ.

For $525 delivered I got water pump, timming belt, 4xcam seals, crank seals, alternator&air con belt, both pullies and tensioner.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Get your parts from Bill at ralliart NZ.

For $525 delivered I got water pump, timming belt, 4xcam seals, crank seals, alternator&air con belt, both pullies and tensioner.

+1 Bill at Ralliart NZ is awsome, i get all my bits there;)

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I just bought my parts for the 100k service this week, aftermarket water pump from meek, $110 plus postage. Timing belt, both pulleys and thermostat from Bill at Ralliart for $334NZ delivered. Genuine pump from Bill was going to be $315NZ.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Where is it leaking from? If it's from the shaft then yes it's shagged and needs replacing. If it's just the gasket you COULD just re-seal it but when it goes (unless these cars are completely different - and someone will correct me) you'll need to take your timing belt off again to replace it with a new one.

Yes, timing belt comes off to get the pump out. Problem is though, you cannot get to the pump to even look at it without taking half that side of the engine off! So if your leaking green stuff from that side of your block, like me, just start saving......like me.

Big + 1 with using Bill at Ralliart NZ. With AUD $1 being enough to make you a part owner of the New Zealand Warriors, it just makes sense to take advantage of the cheap parts.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
i also got lots of bits of bill @ ralliart nz. nearly 50% cheaper than aus!!!

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Bill quoted me $315NZD for water pump dunno if this is reasonable as it like 40GBP from camskill :cautious:

And $1200NZD for power steering pump :eek:

blkcar

Crunching Gears
First Name
lem
Drive
VR4 Galant
+1 Bill very quick & helpfull NZD is so low. I paid $300 NZD on 25/1/10.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Probably getting my gear from camskill.

Timing belt 55GBP
Water Pump 33GBP
K&N Panel Filter 36GBP
Shipping 60GBP

Works out to be around AUD$240 all up.