Timing mark question

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Hi guys, just did my timing belt, and cant get the marks to line up perfectly.

Ive searched for hours to find if there is a definite answer to wether this is fine or not, but what is the tolerance on advance? Will 10 degrees kill the motor? Seems I can only get 3/4 cams lined up.

Basically, when the crank is on TDC all the cam gear marks are to the right of the mark slightly. Especially the front bank inlet which is a few mm off.

But when the crank is on 8-10, all cams line up perfectly except for from bank exhaust... But if I skip the gear a tooth then it will put it out by a few mm still by the look.

Gonna pull the belt and try again anyway

Is there a trick to getting all 4 to line up perfectly? Is this something the tensioner will help fix if tensioned differently? And How much tolerance is there with advance before I run into trouble?

If anyone has a link to a detailed thread then that would help greatly!

I just dont want to fuck things up :(
Will try and upload pics later

Thanks in advance!

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Can you post pics, they should all line up. Trying to remember how I did mine, but I work as a Mechanic/engineer on synchronous drives every day so I hope I can help.Not a Motor mechanic by any means though..Maybe it is just the order in tensioning so that the belt tension is maintained between pulleys so that the slack can be taken up by the tensioner. Start at crank and work anti clock wise so slack is all at hydraulic tensioner.

wintertidenz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
98 Galant VR4
The easiest way my friends and I found (after an hour of misery) was to get the back bank timed up - so rear exhaust, rear intake, and clamp/get someone with two spanners to hold them in place, then wind the belt round the idler and do the front bank ever so slightly out (half a tooth or so).
Take the crank back about half a tooth to a tooth, get the belt round the water pump then the crank and turn it to the mark - you should find all the tension is taken out of the belt and all the marks will magically line up.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I modified a couple of g clamps to hold the rear cams in place. You can however buy cam gear holders. Or phone a friend or two.

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Cheers guys,
Cant upload pics till I get on my laptop, but I redid the belt (cant get crank bolt off - only did cam seals so the whole belt didnt come off, was done 40,000ks ago anyway)
Finally got it abit closer, I ended up retarding the crank 5 degrees, left the front bank cams advanced quite a bit with no slack between front bank and crank, then tackled the rear bank one cam at a time, and as I tensioned them it pulled the front bank back towards the mark and the crank to TDC, then once fully tensioned and rotated a few times the lines on the cams lined up perfect when the crank was at about 6 degrees. Thats as close as I could get it. It was at that before I pulled the belt too so im going to assume that its all good, and boy, does she seem to pull hard up top again!

Cheers for your help :)

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Also, I bought cam gear locking tools, they were pretty much useless... 2 sets of hands, multiple spanners and zip tying the belt to the cam gear works much better!

Top Bottom