Transfer case

G

Unregistered
Hi guys, my transfer case has just shit its self :cursing: and cant find another one anywhere in Aus. Would a case from any other mitsubishi fit? Is possible to get the internal bits anywhere? Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
What were you doing to blow it up?

Wait for one of the NZ boys to read this. One of them may have one.

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
Do the manuals and auto boxes use the same transfer case?

G

Unregistered
yes and rear diff,

even the non turbo v6 4wd trans case is the same.

brad should be along soon. he'll know :)
"I THINK" the evo 4-6 trans case is the same

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I have two vr4 transfer cases and one non turbo v6 transfer case. They are different.

How much are you wanting to spend? One of the vr4 ones I have is spare.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Actually yes the VR-4 and ST-R (non turbo V6) cases are different. The internals actually have the same ratio. I don't know whether the ST-R ones will bolt up to a VR-4 gearbox.

Autos and manuals are the same, yes.

EVO 4-6 are the same. Some EVO 4-6's have an LSD front diff in their transfer case too!

Finally buy Scott's spare one :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how did you blow/stuff up your transfer case? I've never heard of an issue.. if you can let us know, would be appreciated so we can watch out, just in case..

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Actually yes the VR-4 and ST-R (non turbo V6) cases are different. The internals actually have the same ratio. I don't know whether the ST-R ones will bolt up to a VR-4 gearbox.

The spline counts and the shaft sizes are different, but it looks like the bolt pattern is the same. A bit weird! Most things about the non turbo one are slightly smaller than the turbo one.

Finally buy Scott's spare one :)

What he said :D

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
how did you blow/stuff up your transfer case? I've never heard of an issue.. if you can let us know, would be appreciated so we can watch out, just in case..
I've been told by a couple of mechanics that they have a habit of binding. And I seem to recall someone on CVR4 having to replace the oil in theirs to get rid of a horrible vibration/noise.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The main problem is that half of them don't have any oil in them at all! Heaps of guys in the UK in particular find that out when they drain them and a small amount of black tar like stuff comes out.

I've heard of a few that have had failing bearings but it is fairly rare to chew the teeth up.

Thanks for the clarification on the differences Scott. I knew the bolt pattern and the ratio was the same and that they looked very similar but I wasn't sure where the exact difference was.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
The casing is the same shape on both, but slightly smaller in some areas on the non turbo one. I only have a vr4 one in my garage (the other two are in my lockup), so I can't do any more detailed comparison.

G

Unregistered
Hi guys
Thanks for the replies.
I was driving along nothing drastic and a noise started at about 40km/h and then it would disappear. During the day it got louder and louder and on the way to the mechanic it started to get really bad at about 80km/h so i slowed down but the noise was getting really loud at any speed. Mechanic said that the transfer case is gone.
I got a quote in Auckland for $600 but still waiting for cost of sending it to Sydney (DHL being nice fellows quoted me $789).

Scott how much do you want for your one and do you know how much it would cost to send it to me.

Once again thanks everyone.

devol

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
gavin
Drive
s1 galant-04 pajero
how many k's has it done,just averaging out thru all post wen i might need to get serious.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Hi guys
I got a quote in Auckland for $600 but still waiting for cost of sending it to Sydney (DHL being nice fellows quoted me $789).

Scott how much do you want for your one and do you know how much it would cost to send it to me.

I'll take $300 if you're cool with that. We'll be able to ship it for MUCH less than what DHL quoted. I sent a set of coilovers to Holland for less than that, and I think Brad has sent an ayc diff to australia for around $250. I would guess it would be around $300 for shipping, but I can confirm that if you want.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Scott, don't you mean $600 for the xfer case and around or less than $300 for freight?

G

Unregistered
Its done around 55k i got it with 36k on the clock. All that i had done to it is boost it to 13psi so wouldnt think that would be too much power for it to blow.
Anyway Scott says $300 and bradc the admin guy says $600. So how about we meet in the middle and settle for $800 including shipping?

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Its done around 55k i got it with 36k on the clock. All that i had done to it is boost it to 13psi so wouldnt think that would be too much power for it to blow.
Anyway Scott says $300 and bradc the admin guy says $600. So how about we meet in the middle and settle for $800 including shipping?

I can't agree to a figure including shipping without knowing how much the shipping will be. I'll see if I have time to find that out tomorrow (Wednesday).

Top Bottom