Turbosmart Evo Dual Port B.O.V's

G

Unregistered
G'day guys,

So I went looking through Turbosmart's Web page and found their dual-port B.O.V's for Evo's. You can vent to atmo, plumb-back and both at once, which I figure will work best on our 6A13TT's. So I enquired about how well they will fit up, and supposedly the Evo Dual port has inlet and outlet of 34mm's.

Check out my post right down the bottom of this page somewhere:

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=46

Now, that B.O.V will fit right up to our Leggie's hey ?

I hope so, cos on that blog page I said it would !

Anyway, If those other Evo X metal plumb-back ports don't come through, I am so getting one of these. Pretty pricey I think though.

Cheers.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi,

yep a 34mm will be fine. Anything that suits and Evo will fit a VR-4 (some force may be required to stretch the factory hoses over anything bigger than 35mm though).

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
It will be interesting to see what happens on international markets after today's announcement (for those that didn't hear, the RBA dropped interest rates by a full percent). If you're really keen to upgrade though you could always get one from the dude on EvoOz - they're only $30 more than I was hoping to get them to you guys for anyway :)

G

Unregistered
i dont have the evo dual port but the universal one. just had it fitted, vents to atmo and plumb back. sounds great.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i plan on getting one of the evo ones eventually - and yes 34mm should be perfectly fine.

G

Unregistered
So how do you switch between atmo and plumb-back ?

G

Unregistered
Yeah, that's a good question. Cos setting the spring harder will only change how easy the port opens, not where it will actually dump. The site says you can vary it between all three options of purge.

That's the reason this b.o.v looks so attractive, as I've read previously that Leggie's don't like a full atmo dump valve.

Can anyone clarify ?

Cheers

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
oops i should check the picture first... thought you were talking about turbosmart's stealth FX one, which is a simple turn of the top of the bov to change between plumb back, venting, and anywhere in between. This one requires a plug to make it just plumb back, standard is both, and the 3rd way is using a plug in the plumb back pipe. Silly design if you ask me, spend the extra and get the stealth fx - its so much more practical.

G

Unregistered
I just had a GFB four-in-one fitted, which allows for full vent, single trumpet, twin trumpet and 50/50. It may be another option to consider. The trumpets screw on and off by hand, and a 10c piece takes care of the blanking plugs.

G

Unregistered
G

Unregistered
Would a 33mm (hose) fitting work on our Leggies ?

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
i have one of these on my car, they are a good bov but LOUD when atmo...good for s while but i got over it quickly and plumbed it back. Changing from plumb back to atmo is not a hard job just four allen screws.
Also keep in mind i had to use a bend pipe from where the old bov was so it wouldnt scrape on driveways ect (my car is lower than most tho)

G

Unregistered
Hi,

yep a 34mm will be fine. Anything that suits and Evo will fit a VR-4 (some force may be required to stretch the factory hoses over anything bigger than 35mm though).

just use lube, and get a run-up. ;)

seriously however, any car that uses an AFM wont like an atmo bov too much, as the afm thinks a certain amount of air is in the system, and adds fuel accordingly, so when you back off, the air is vented instead of staying in the intake system, it can cause it to overfuel and stall.

G

Unregistered
Yeah, I heard Mitsi's have sensitive AFM's, which is why I reckon the dual port would be a good idea. I don't want much noise, just want to know it's there, plus have the added piece of mind of a metal bov, not a leaky plastic bosch'y...

In fact, I don't know if it's common, but at certain times under load and throttle release, I can hear my stock bov discharging back in to the system. That noise inspired me to get a new bov just to make it 'a-lil-bit' louder...

Cheers

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
My GFB Evo 8 Stealth FX BOV arrived during the week, looks the goods and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I was going to get the Turbosmart Dual Port, but the best price i could find was ~$430 and its not as easy to change from VTA-to-Plumb back-to-50/50, and doesn't have the adjustability of the Stealth FX. Although the Stealth FX does cost quite a bit more at $550+, i think its flexability and ability to be "tuned" to suite the car (hopefully i'll be able to avoid stalling) will be better, plus i got a good deal on it @ $350. I'll be throwing it on the car tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
when you do install it, im curious to know whether it vents at any amount of pressure (for example my Greddy Type RS will only vent when im past a certain boost or load, as it has an adjustment screw on it, where those dont)

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
The GFB BOV went on the other week and its really quite nice. It has not affected drivability or fuel economy at all. It was a bit of a pain to fit in the stock location because the trumpet hits the IC piping, so i had to replace the stock straight rubber hose joiner with a right angle section of hose to get the trumpet away from the piping. But appart from that it is fine to fit, the inlent and outlet diameters are perfect. Its only a temporary fitment at the moment, i'll be doing a much nicer install when the new IC piping goes on.

As for adjusting noise level and the point at which the BOV vents, its really quite simple. The BOV is designed with the recirc outlet lower on the cylinder than the trumpet outlet, so that as the piston rises air starts to recirculate before it vents. This means that by adjusting the spring force you can adjust the boost level at which the BOV vents to atmosphere. A stronger spring force means that higher boost pressure is required before the BOV begins to vent to atmosphere. The BOV has complete adjustment of how much air is directed to the recirc port or the trumpet, so the noise level when venting to atmosphere is completely adjustable.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
thats the BOV i was thinking of originally lol :p got GFB and turbosmart mixed up. I was interested in getting one of those for a while... if you have them set on full plumb back are they legal?

Top Bottom