Unable to select Park....(Legnum ownership is killing me)

jdyort

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Troy
Drive
98 Type V S2 Legnum + 67 Mk1 Cortina
Hey everyone,

Well I am into my 4th month of Legnum ownership and my second problem (first being correctly diagnosed as the torque convertor seal).
Tonight Larry decided that I could no longer select Park. The furthest the dash will light up is R so I am having to start in Neutral. Transmission has been running smoothly.

Any ideas on what this could be gurus??

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There is a plastic bracket on top of the gearbox that moves when you move the selector. I would look there first.

jdyort

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Troy
Drive
You have pointed me in the direction and that is where I am running (crawling). Will see what I can find when I pull the centre console out. Thanks Brad.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
I had a similar issue for a while but I thought it was broken bits of the selector stick surround getting in the way... Just gave it a patient wiggle back and forth and it righted itself every time.

jdyort

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Troy
Drive
I pulled out the airbox and had a good look around referring to the link you provided. I thought it must have been because the adjusting nut was finger loose so tightened that up a bit. It has made a difference. I can now start the car in Park but I dont think it is 100% correct as the dash is not lighting up on Park. I did not want to loosen the Transmission mounting bolts on this instance but I think I may have to if it does not right itself in the next week or so.

This was Park before my meddling
Park.jpg

This is with it in Neutral which is correct from my understanding
Neutral.jpg

This is Reverse
Reverse.jpg

This is park after my meddling. Appears the same as before to me anyway.
ParkAbleToStart.jpg

I find it strange how it just decided on the coldest of cold nights since I owned it while I was wearing a t-shirt and I was in the complete opposite end of Sydney that it decided to do it.

G

Unregistered
You could try playing around with the inhibitor switch again but ask someone to sit in the car and yell out if they see the light come on. It would interesting just to work out at what position the light is actually lit. But being only finger tight originally can't of been helping things.

Top Bottom