Vacuum line! Where is it on the engine to fit a boost gauge?

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
Very studpid Question I know - I kringe as I ask it.. But I am installing boost gauge after MBC just to be safe. Just never done it before.
Which line is the vacuum one?
Ta

G

Unregistered
I have used the one coming off the back of the intake manifold in the corner running down and t pieced it.
Works but I think there is a better place as I think I get boost lag on the gauge.

G

Unregistered
Does anyone have a pic for the best spot for the boost guage "T" piece to tap into, just want to make sure before I install it.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Emanuel,

there's pics on ClubVR4, feel free to write a How To on here once you get it fitted.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
My boost guage came with hard plastic vacume line.

Anyone else using the same white vacume line or are you using rubber or silicone vacume line? I just want it to be as acurate as posable.

031-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

If i was to use rubber or silicone I guess I would have to by different connecters to attach to the boost gauge.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Emanual,

We tried to install Taraska's gauge which had similar hose and becuase it comes wound up and is hard plastic when you un-roll it, it can 'pinch' and flatten really easily. Tara's ended up taking his back I think and buying a different hose as the one that came with it ended up being useless (it flattened under vacuum) So be VERY careful when you unroll it an make sure you never pull on it when it's kinked.

You could PM Taraska and see what he ended up using.

cheers

Lee

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
My gauge came with a small nylon tube rolled up as pictured above, haven't had any problems! Just make sure you use teflon sealing tape on the threaded metal pieces.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Mine is installed using the same plastic tube.. My first effort ended in kinks, and I had to buy replacement fittings (~$5) and try again. All fine now.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You could also try mildly heating the tubing as you unroll it (use a hair-drier, not a heat gun as that will probably melt it) and maybe even fasten each end to something temporarily to get it straight. That should get the curl out of the plastic completely.

G

Unregistered
buy some copper pipe, and flare the ends to fit very short sections of vaccum hose for more accurate results. nothing beats hard pipe

G

Unregistered
Thanks guy's so there is a few options then for the vacume line material.

And a pic for later reference of where to tap it into for others wanting to install one.

pipeforgauge.jpg

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I've renamed the thread to assist in searches.

boost2tw4.jpg

Here we go, fitted yesterday by Joe with the t-line in place. The hard nylon line is IN the brass barb, whereas the silicon hose was cut in half and fitted OVER the brass barbs.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
nice install.. but.. hehe... there's always a but.. did you replace that whole black rubber vacuum hose? i hope you did.. knowing the brass T shape Barb is a little heavy and when you change gear or get into bumps it can move up and down rapidly and may weaken the hose itself..

I prefer to replace that black rubber vacuum hose with a new longer one and mount the barb on the firewall at least you'll know it won't move..

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
oh yes how dumb of me ill just go bang my head against a wall lol

G

Unregistered
does anyone know of or use a easyer place to run the piping for the gauge the only place i have in mind is wheel off inner guard out and running it through there had a look around cant see much !!!

G

Unregistered
All you need to take off is the front R/H wheel and take off or partly take off the inner black plastic, the rear half anyway and that will give you access to run it into the car just above the drivers feat.
So from the manifold, along the firewall towards the drivers side down into the guard through the rubber gromet onto the car back up the edge R/H of the dash if thats where your putting it.
You can also unclip the plastic on the "A" pilar for access for the tube/wires if you need to.

Keegz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Keegan
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
do you have any pic of where the tube enters the cabin

Top Bottom