Valve tapping, door rattle and intake questions

G

Unregistered
Hey guys

I went to check out a legnum last night and just had a few questions perhaps you guys could clarrify for me.

It is common for valve tapping for about 10-12 seconds when you start the car? The guy seemed to think it was normal.

Also, i'm aware the temp on these cars increases pretty quick. It seemed like it look less than a minute for the car to be sitting at mid-temp.

I noticed a slight rattle in the passenger side door when closing it. No rattling while driving, but i was just concerned that it may be the door reinforcement that's coming loose. I had that problem on my old R31 and the only way to fix it was to get a new door as welding it would mean you'd weld right through the door. To get the RWC on the skyline we jammed a piece of sandpaper in to stop the rattling, haha.

Last point, the car had a pod fliter set up with an ARC intercooler. So to get RWC, one or the other has to be removed. I figure the pod would be easier, but also i've read that having a pod is actually a bad thing for the 6A13TT's due to engine bay heat and your better off using the stock airbox anyway.

Any experience with these, more than welcome to take your advice.

Cheers

Paul

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Valve tapping is pretty common and nothing to worry about. A change of oil with probably reduce it.

I don't think the heat is the main problem with a pod setup, but rather the effect it has on the airflow into the MAF.

G

Unregistered
My valves tap alot ... your lucky yours only tap for seconds.
I'm running thin oil at the moment, going to try something slightly thicker to see if it alters.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
1) I was getting tapping and all it took was a decent oil change and a new filter, bingo bango all fixed.

2) The motor is damn quick to get up to temp so no prob's there.

3) I've got some door rattle too, I think these cars just have a few little squeeks and squawks. Nothing to worry about I'm sure.

G

Unregistered
Cheers for the tips, that helps alot.

In terms of price, how much do you reckon i should be looking to pay for a '97 legnum, auto, white, black leather, no stereo, arc intercooler, turbo timer, exhaust, 100,000kms. Car looks in good condition, above points were the only ones i picked up on.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Car Of The Year edition! Nice. :)
Moderately high kms compared to some others here.. $12-15k depending on condition.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Hard to judge. Personally I would not offer more than 14k, but really it's up to the dealer and how much they want to make off it. Check what's on offer on carsales and ebay and then make a judgement based on pricing from across the market. It's a bit more costly purchasing from a dealer as they are only in it to make money, where as importing one through a broker will only cost you 1k for their service fee.

So its Time V's Cost

You buy one here, you pay more but it's all done in a week.

You buy one from Japan, it takes 6 months but costs a hell of a lot less.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I noticed a slight rattle in the passenger side door when closing it. No rattling while driving, but i was just concerned that it may be the door reinforcement that's coming loose. I had that problem on my old R31 and the only way to fix it was to get a new door as welding it would mean you'd weld right through the door.
Its odd you would have been told that - you should be able to bronze spot-weld the door skins if you have a cracked one. You could even solder it if you're concerned about heating the sheet metal too much. Only prob is you'll need to respray the door after as the heat will screw your paint up.

Otherwise try wedging something in there to open the gap up as much as possible (without bending or buckling anything, of course!) and fill the gap up with Space Invader or even liquid nails ;)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Being the owner of an R31, i ould have thought you'd be used to the noisy tappets :p I thought i get rid of it with a new car, but apparently not!

Mine didnt tap when i first got it, but it has being doing it an increasing amount as i have racked up more kms without an oil change

G

Unregistered
if you have concerns bout the door and your getting if from a dealer just tell them to fix the door before you buy the car.. i have a blitz pod and have no probs... and im fairly sure all mitsi's have the valves tapping

Top Bottom