Vehicle Restrictions in Victoria?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Hey guys, are there any laws preventing P-Platers from driving Turbo cars in Victoria?

I'm going on a road trip next week and my passenger only has her NSW Red P's.. Just seeing what the laws are like, just in case a moment comes up where she may need to drive my car!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Thanks for that dude =]

Thanks guys, question answered now!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
What makes it interesting is that it's been thought-out if you have a look at the list. It's not all turbocharged cars that are "bad"

The interesting thing is can someone drive a Legnum/Galant on their P's in Victoria IF:

Series 1, 260bhp (auto) drops under the 125kW/tonne

Series 1, 280bhp (manual) is over.

All Series 2 are over that limit.

As quoted here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...fomanceturbochargedorsuperchargedvehicles.htm

turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that is considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle. A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and are equipped with child restraint anchorages. A family type vehicle does not include a sports car (two door coupe).

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Ummmm, doesn't it apply to the state in which you were licensed, not in which you were driving? I.e. here in SA a P plater can drive a turbo. That means he can drive a turbo anywhere in Australia, yes/no?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Ummmm, doesn't it apply to the state in which you were licensed, not in which you were driving? I.e. here in SA a P plater can drive a turbo. That means he can drive a turbo anywhere in Australia, yes/no?

Actually that's an interesting look at it, so if a person in SA drives a 300kw RX7 in NSW they shouldn't get in to trouble right? Because according to SA laws you can legally drive the car with no problems

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
What makes it interesting is that it's been thought-out if you have a look at the list. It's not all turbocharged cars that are "bad"

The interesting thing is can someone drive a Legnum/Galant on their P's in Victoria IF:

Series 1, 260bhp (auto) drops under the 125kW/tonne

Series 1, 280bhp (manual) is over.

All Series 2 are over that limit.

As quoted here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...fomanceturbochargedorsuperchargedvehicles.htm

Gav
fill out the form and send it in
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/r...erformanceSuperchargedTurbochargedVehicle.pdf

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
*blinks* me?

Actually, Loki qualifies as a "Lower Performance Turbocharged or SuperCharged vehicle" :(

Takes the shine off the "twin-turbo V6 AWD" moniker a little bit. Least I got the mods to make it over the other side of the line!

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
*blinks* me?

Actually, Loki qualifies as a "Lower Performance Turbocharged or SuperCharged vehicle" :(

Takes the shine off the "twin-turbo V6 AWD" moniker a little bit. Least I got the mods to make it over the other side of the line!

Didn't mean to insult :)

Mine doesn't make it so figured you could :)

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
The Guys are correct the laws of the state you are licensed in apply i.e. If your NSW P's license you to drive a turbo car it doesn't matter which state you drive it in. As for S1 Auto Legnums Qualifying for the low powered turbo cars. I Applied for that for my GF and got rejected. They advised that it does not qualify as a family car as it has been turbo'd to increase the performance above that of the standard model. (Although given the wording of the actual vic roads page it should fit perfectly and if i had gotten around to calling them up to contest it I'm sure i could have got it passed.) Either way it's irrelevant as you have to apply for it to apply to you for a specific car.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Actually that's an interesting look at it, so if a person in SA drives a 300kw RX7 in NSW they shouldn't get in to trouble right? Because according to SA laws you can legally drive the car with no problems

True. As an example I owned my R34 Skyline when I was on my P's, if I had driven across the country and into NSW and then got stopped by the cops I would have been cool yeah?

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Another Example when i was on my L's, L Platers in SA were restricted to 90Kmh however as i had Victorian L's i was licensed to drive the speed limit. So I never had any troubles doing 110 on the highways when I was over SA way.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
True. As an example I owned my R34 Skyline when I was on my P's, if I had driven across the country and into NSW and then got stopped by the cops I would have been cool yeah?

One would hope so! But knowing some police they may not know that and may try to book you, but you'd be able to contest it for sure

Top Bottom