Very slight steering wheel vibration - Wheels out of round?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
So I've been chasing the cause of a very very slight vibration coming through my steering wheel at all speeds (not so large that you can see it, but can feel it). Today I took my car to pedders for one of their checks, and they told me that the wheels seem out of round, all 4 of them.
They spun the wheels and showed me where I could see the inside lip of the wheel undulating. Had the front wheels put on a balancer again and you could still see it, so its not in the hub. Is this likely the cause of the vibration?

Is it at all common? Should someone else have noticed it and told me about it? I have only recently had the wheels balanced by 2 different places (the 2nd time when I bought a new set of tyres) and had the wheels refurbished by Depulu on the gold coast in between ( The whole backwards wheel nut thing).

Should someone have noticed this? wouldn't it come up during the balance? Surely a wheel refurbishment place would notice this if it was bad enough to cause the vibrations?
Or is it just a common thing to have some undulation and everyone didn't think it would effect anything?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
wheel refurb should've seen it and unfortunately might be a bit hard to chase it up as its been back on the road..

they can say 'that happened after we fixed the damn things'

just my opinion

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
If your wheel is buckled, it'll vibrate and drive (heh) you batshit insane... it happened to me.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
It seems to be all 4 wheels... They are Enkei branded so I wouldn't expect them to be that weak, could it be due to the repairs they did on the stud holes not centering the wheels?

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Is the hub centric on your wheels the correct size to suit our hubs?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
The wheels are lug centric, with the cone shaped holes hence why it slipped so much when they were put on backwards, aren't most aftermarket wheels lug centric?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
So, today I tried some different wheels and tyres borrowed from my mates skyline, 17x7.5 wheels with 235x40 tyres, possibly 22mm offset if thats what the 22 meant on the rear of the rim.
Only did the front ones, but removed the ayc fuses to prevent the missmatch causing a problem (as is my understanding)

PB100009.JPG

Just a little bit of poke
PB100010.JPG

Unfortunately, the vibration remained the same :(
So that possibly rules the wheels out, unless the rear are really bad and somehow making it to the steering wheel bypassing the rest of the car...

Had a couple of other guys go for a drive in it to get their opinion, we've noticed that it doesn't seem to change much with speed or engine revs, its a high frequency low amplitude vibration. We were thinking whether it might be a power steering pump issue.
On the way home I slipped it into neutral on a hill and turned the engine off, vibration still there, does that rule that out?

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Top Bottom