Please help me, New member, New Legnum, First issue. Very specific.`

Bayside Burg

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
Legnum
Good morning all,

I bought my Legnum only 6 or so weeks ago and it has now developed an issue that cound be quite serious...97 PFL

I have a rotational deep groaning sound coming from the front of the car, I believe the front right wheel area.

I have a pretty good mechanical knowledge but the wierd part is:

Noise goes away when accelerating,
Noise goes away when braking,
Noise goes away when turning around corners, left and right.

The noise only apears when coasting and i believe is only there when the car is warm??

I have no idea what this is please help.

For what it is worth i went and drove around in circles on full lock to identify CV issues to no avail.

JOhn

G

Unregistered
It could be that your lower arms are failing, if that is the case the car should be be driven at all until they are replaced. If you do not know if they have been replaced, then they should be immediately replaced to rule this out.

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....appens-if-you-don-t-replace-your-control-arms

Here is a video of the typical noise you will hear when they are about to fail (you may have to save and play from your computer).

http://www.beanjam.com/video/balljoint-failure.wmv

Bayside Burg

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
Legnum
the noise isn't like that, in fact it stops when turning. i just popped the wheel of and found nothing, everything is as it should be.
Just for the record, how can you tell if a lower control arm is failing? Just the joints?

G

Unregistered
So only when rolling forward or back? When you jacked the car up did you rotate the wheels by hand and hear or feel anything binding? Wheel bearings, CV joints, transfer case and diff/transmission are the main rotational parts up front.

The lower arms fail at the outer ball joints as all the weight is on them. There is not really any easy visual indication that they could snap at any moment. There was a recall for these, but even if yours were done as part of the recall they are still a wear component and for peace of mind should be changed.

Bayside Burg

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
Legnum
I will need to have another look as i only have one jack and obviously need two wheels off the ground.
When coasting i mean at normal driving speed but just off the throttle. Any way on telling if the control arms have been replaced?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Hi John is the groaning noise something that you can feel more than you hear, if it is I would also check out your engine mounts as these are prone to failure as well. From your description I would check the front and rear roll stoppers first, with the rear you will need to remove the intake pipe to you turbo to get a decent look/feel. Just something else to look at or rule out.

Bayside Burg

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
Legnum
Awesome Guys, Thankyou. I just went and jacked both wheels and could not hear any binding or grabbing. I guess that i am feeling it more that hearing it but i will need to go for a drive to further diagnose. It seems strange that it only happens when warm?? or even intermittently.

Roll stoppers? not sure what these are...Swaybar related?

Will enter vin and check that too.

This has me stuffed? i only just got the car :(

Bayside Burg

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
Legnum
I think it may of been my ATF level...Will post back when confirmed...
Wierd as the noise sounded mechical

G

Unregistered
I just got the off the shelf Davies Craig one from super cheap.It was on special for $109, I got the slightly bigger one for the V8, number 678 I think.Repco and Autobarn have them too if you check there.Also supercheap has some Hydracool ones I think are the exact same. I did it this way

1.Remove grill, bonnet catch,top radiator brackets.

2.Slip the cooler down through the hole in the grill in front of the condenser and sit it on the rail that the A/C Condenser sits on.

3.Cut the supplied hose in half and attach to the cooler pipes and clamp tight (I did this with the cooler in the car as it was a VERY tight fit just getting the cooler in.It required some pushing and pulling on the metal in front of the condenser.Would have easily fit with the smaller cooler.)

4.Turn the cooler ON ITS SIDE and feed the hoses through into the engine bay.Its best to put the top hose straight through a small gap between the top of the condenser and over the top of the headlight, you will know the one when you see it, it lets the hose run perfectly straight into the engine bay.The bottom hose can just be run in a gentle curve up behind the headlight towards the battery cover.pull them tight and leave them by the battery for now

5.Attach the cooler to the condenser with the supplied clips.I placed it as high as I could and close to the passenger side of the condenser.I used a very small flat head screwdriver and put it though the mounting holes in the cooler and bent the fins of the condenser out of the way so the clip could pass through easier.I didn't cut them to size I just pushed them through and grabbed the end with a pair of long nose pliers and pulled them up past the radiator, put the clip on and pushed it down with the pliers until it was tight then used scissors to cut it off, leaving a bit of a tail.I put clips through the top two holes on the cooler and through the middle two and it is held really tight in place and they were the easiest to reach too.

6.Remove the U-shaped hose from the transmission line.It pays to place a rag down at the bottom of the bend for the ATF to spurt onto so you don't make a mess.Not much came from mine.I removed the U closest to the radiator but its up to you what you want.I wanted the A/M cooler to be last before the gearbox as I live in Townsville and NOTHING can be too cool here.

6.Attach the cooler hoses to the Transmission Cooler Pipes I attached the bottom hose of the cooler to the pipe closest to the cabin and the top hose closest to the grill.I believe the ATF now travels from top to bottom in the cooler but its not important anyway.I didn't need to cut the Bottom hose of the cooler I just pushed it further down the pipe until it made a nice gentle curve that sat against the battery tray.The other hose was a few inches too long so I cut it down an Inch at a time until it too had a long gentle curve in it and sat against the other hose a safe distance from the radiator.Clamp them both up nice and tight.Don't over tighten them though.

7.TEST PROPERLYMake sure you have an observer.Turn the car on and let it idle in Park up until operating temperature while you watch for leaks from the hoses.If nothing shows up watch the hoses while someone puts the transmission through each gear (P,R,N and D) leaving it in each for about 5-10 sec to make sure its all pressurised and the ATF is run through properly.Check your ATF and make sure it is still full enough, it will drop a bit due to the hoses and cooler needing to be filled.If it needs to be topped up top it up.If everything is still fine take it for a spin.Take a few litres of ATF and the tools you need to tighten your clamps with you and stop and check the hoses regularly.

8.Reassemble and Enjoy.

That should be it, if you do it my way and have any questions just PM me.I forgot to get pictures which I am regretting as the guide does need some updated pictures better showing all the steps.

Bayside Burg

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
Legnum
That's great info. Thankyou.

Turns out i topped up the Auto and it fixed itself up sweet.

Strange the way it sounded, really didnt think the tranny at all.

Very happy camper :)

G

Unregistered
That's awesome mate, hope that's the end of it for you, Happy driving go on. :)

G

Unregistered
And get that transmission cooler sorted ASAP, it's cheap insurance and worth every cent, not to mention the incredible peace of mind it provides :D

Top Bottom