VR-4 Speedo - 180kmh max; can it be bypassed?

Taraska

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taraska
Drive
Black VR-4!!!!!!
Hi guys. Can anyone please tell me about the speedo. Its says 180 but we all know it will go at least 240. Does it mean that been limited? and if it is what will hapend if you try to go faster? And is there a way to unlock the limiter? I am not very good with technical stuff so please dont make any jocks.
Taras

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
There's info on this @ ClubVR4 where it is speed limited to 180km/h but it's a relatively straight-forward mod (cutting a wire to the ECU I believe, but wise to check) to remove it.

Also, there are dashboards that you can find that go even higher than the stated 180km/h, and bradc modded his as well but it's quite pricey.

G

Unregistered
all japanese cars are speed limited 180km and 206kw under the 'gentlemens agreement' in japan. you can bypass the 180km limiter by installing a speed cut defender (not expensive) but in order for it to make a purpose you'll need a new speedo to show higher than 180km. although there's not really any point as 110km is the fastest you can legally go anyway.

also, if you hit speed cut you'll experience a severe whiplash like jolt as the car cuts all power. kinda of like rev limiter.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Even the Northern Territory now enforce their upper speed limit of 130km/h since last year :(

Taraska

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taraska
Drive
Black VR-4!!!!!!
Thanks guys. I am not planing to go very fast but just would like to know if it can be done.
Taras

G

Unregistered
or you can get an Apexi RSM, which will cut the speed limiter, but also stop the needle at 170km/h, and show your actual speed on its display.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Tarasaka, I still am an AMC member :D ... you'll see a number of AMC members past and present here as well. Some are under different names but you'll have to find out for yourself.

I can also be found on ClubVR4 (as are some people on here @ OZVR4), OCAU (overclockers australia... SiliconAngel appears there too), Whirlpool, GameArena, Internode Games just to name a few.

Glad we could help answer your question!

G

Unregistered
indeed it does. i disabled mine in my pulsar as i kept hitting it out on the track. 180km down the main and back straight then getting whipped with speed cut kinda hurts!

G

Unregistered
Or you could just use a GPS which will tell you your speed for when you want to test out speed. Very easy, can use in any car....

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
What do the NZ delivered VR-4 Galants have on their speedo's ?

G

Unregistered
here you go
Brad that looks great, does it still fade out so you can't see and guages when the car is off, and is it the same lighting style as the original VR4 Type S?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yep, it is the exact same style of dash as normal, just with higher increments

Top Bottom