vr4 legnum fault code TCL

G

Unregistered
hi there new to this forum, i have a 1996 vr4 legnum which has just come up with a fault, on the the dash it displays the TCL off and the engine check light comes on as well, i had a diagnosis done and it came up with codes 71-tcl-vacuum solenoid, 72-tclvent solenoid, and abs code 77 vac/vent solenoid, the automotive place checked and reset the computer and said it was fine codes did not come back on after test drive, but when i drove it home it came up, is there anything that i can check, p.s code only appear after we had the left tierod replaced is there a sensor there that could off been knocked, cheers for you response

G

Unregistered
It's a common problem on VR-4's.
Check vacuum reservoire (gray tube next to vacuum solenoids), look for cracks.
If some found - glue them.
If not - check solenoids resistance - it should be between 33..45 Ohms.
Mine solenoids gave that resistance while cold.. When they are warm (5-10 minutes after engine start) they don't have resistance - looks like the coil is dead.

Ordered 2 new solenoids yesterday. Hope that will fix everything.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Krasnodor, as in the Ukraine? No way! Cool :D

Anyway, back on topic, yes it is normally the grey tank that causes problems or a split in the pipes going into it.

G

Unregistered
hi there is that grey tube the one mounted on the passenger side of the firewall with two hoses going into it lablled A and B and then there is a couple off black boxes on top of each other next to this are these the solinoids
new.jpg

G

Unregistered
Krasnodor, as in the Ukraine? No way! Cool :D

Anyway, back on topic, yes it is normally the grey tank that causes problems or a split in the pipes going into it.

KrasnodAr, it is not in Ukraine, it's in Russia.
South of the european part of Russia.
I live in Sochi actually.. I think you've heard of this city.
It is the place where Winter Olympics 2014 will take place

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you should be able to pull out that canister easily.. but be careful with the nipples.. i think they can get a little brittle..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Hah, didn't notice the A there! Welcome to the club. And thanks for the useful information about the resistance, I don't think any of us here knew that.

G

Unregistered
The main idea is that the resistance SHOULD NOT change significally when solenoids get warm!

Mine lost their resistance completely when warmed. And got it back to 33..45 Ohms when chilled a little.

G

Unregistered
my problem is solved! it was in faulty solenoids

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
had this same fault pop up today. Canister and hoses/nipples all looked OK.
Checked resistance of the two solenoids (one on top of the other).
Top solenoid 42ohms but bottom one jumped around from 52ohms up to 150 ohms and then settled around 75 ohms.
I am guessing the lower of the two solenoids is stuffed.
Where can I pick one of these up and does anyone know part number?

Top Bottom