VR4 Owner's Manual from RAW

G

Unregistered
That workshop manual that is getting converted for a ridculous amount of money should be done by DOTARS and be made available to the compliance workshops, then given to the buyer ...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
*chokes on coffee*

LOL dude no one is under any obligation to provide a workshop manual for any car, let alone an import. Most manufacturer workshop manuals are strictly internal documents - you're unlikely to ever see official manufacturer workshop manuals unless you have pretty damn good contacts... Or someone's already done the legwork and you can find one online.

Owners have NEVER gotten workshop manuals as standard documentation for their cars. If you want one, you have to buy something from Gregory's or Haynes or similar. And they've never been cheap, especially for rare cars - personally I think paying less than $100 for one is a freaken steal!

G

Unregistered
yea i have the shit users manual aswell.. its for a USDM glalant..

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
That and my tyre placard says I'm allowed to have 215/45x17 tyres on 17x7.5 inch rims which the car never came with. I read in another thread though this was because one of the first cars to be complianced had the ralliart pack or something so it was put on file as a standard wheel size. Correct me if I'm wrong! I have three standard sizes there.

I know I'm sounding a bit paranoid here, but the tyre plackard doesn't restrict the tyre & rim size to the spec on the plackard does it? Or is this simply so the cars coming through compliance which had 17" AM rims could still be complianced without having to take them off?

G

Unregistered
LOL dude no one is under any obligation to provide a workshop manual for any car, let alone an import. Most manufacturer workshop manuals are strictly internal documents - you're unlikely to ever see official manufacturer workshop manuals unless you have pretty damn good contacts... Or someone's already done the legwork and you can find one online.

I never said it was obligation ... I was trying to say it should be part of the import process that u get a manual. Otherwise how else do u know what parts are in it or how to fix things ? (unless of course your part of a fantastic community like this)

G

Unregistered
*waves around his galant/legnum manual*

covers every RHD model legnum/galant from 1996-2002, 240 pages :)

G

Unregistered
mitchy where did u get it from ? why are people paying some noob sauce to translate it if its already available ?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Trev - my one is all in japanese, so there is no explanation for anything, just funny diagrams

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
yea i have the shit users manual aswell.. its for a USDM glalant..

My thoughts exactly. When I picked up my car from TOLL, I leafed through it quickly in case there was anything uber important in there about driving it and all I found was a manual for a completely different car! Cheep bastards.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
*chokes on coffee*

Owners have NEVER gotten workshop manuals as standard documentation for their cars. If you want one, you have to buy something from Gregory's or Haynes or similar. And they've never been cheap, especially for rare cars - personally I think paying less than $100 for one is a freaken steal!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190195875207&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I know I'm sounding a bit paranoid here, but the tyre plackard doesn't restrict the tyre & rim size to the spec on the plackard does it? Or is this simply so the cars coming through compliance which had 17" AM rims could still be complianced without having to take them off?

Err, I'm guessing with that awkward silence that I was just being paranoid.:D

My paranoia comes from having a lot of stupid cops trying to defect my car with the most rediculous reasons.:( (Even the glow bulbs on the top corners of my 6G Galant a copper tried to say they weren't factory and was going to defect it based on that.)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Err, I'm guessing with that awkward silence that I was just being paranoid.:D

My paranoia comes from having a lot of stupid cops trying to defect my car with the most rediculous reasons.:( (Even the glow bulbs on the top corners of my 6G Galant a copper tried to say they weren't factory and was going to defect it based on that.)

You can legally (in SA, other states may vary?) go 2 inches larger in size as log as you keep the same rolling diameter. I have gone from 225/50R 16 to 225/40R 18 and it works out the same so no probs, however the tyre plackard (plackard? Plaquard? I dunno) says 205/55R 16 and 215/50R 17!!! I dont know where they get these sizes from but I guess it means I can go 19" if I want.
As a rule of thumb, for every inch in diameter you go up, you wanna go down 5% aspect ratio and you should be ok for speedo accuracy.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
205/55/16 is the standard prefacelift size, and 225/50/16 is the facelift size.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I spoke to a helpful chap at Infrastructure Australia (the new department that previously included the DoTaRS portfolio) who explained the following:

Owners Manuals for vehicles certified for ADR compliance through the RAW scheme need to include items as specified in the RAW QA package. This includes such items as seatbelts (operation, maintenance, location etc), child restraints and emission controls. Other things such as operation of the aircon, stereo, even fuel tank filler are not expressly required nor govererned by law, and as such their choice to include them or not is solely at the RAW's discretion.

Top Bottom