FINALLY A PROUD OWNER VR4

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
PURCHASED THE 1998 VR-4S SEMI AUTO ON CARSALES.

This would be my forth post so far..been waiting to own one since last year...sigh...

Just as a matter of interest does people usually put a BOV in a auto?

And how does the automactic perform ie..does it just suddenly die as well?
(I used the search function found auto transmission problem just suddenly died or was that based on the 4g63 engine?)

Becuase as a new owner what are the general lookouts for self servicing ie fluids coolent..etc...
Search fucntion was use but could not find anything.

=)

I:M SO HAPPY>>>>>>PICKING UP THE CAR TONIGHT

ALREADY PURCHASED REGO AND INSURANCE =):p

AUSVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
'00 Mitsubishi Legnum
Did you get the blue one? It certainly looks nice!

(BTW I think this post and the other guys should really be in the Introduction thread)

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
Yeah it should be i guess..but its part of SOUTH OZ =)

and no its white in colour

G

Unregistered
G'day Jimmy, the BOV won't (usually) vent on the auto's gear changes but it will vent if you lift your foot off the throttle under acceleration.

And yes, these automatic transmissions can suddenly die without any warning. If you are mechanically experienced enough to open up your transmission you can stop the chance of it happening for about $150 and a long day's work. The alternative is to wait until it dies and then pay thousands of $$$ to have it rebuilt.

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8035

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
G'day Jimmy, the BOV won't (usually) vent on the auto's gear changes but it will vent if you lift your foot off the throttle under acceleration.

And yes, these automatic transmissions can suddenly die without any warning. If you are mechanically experienced enough to open up your transmission you can stop the chance of it happening for about $150 and a long day's work. The alternative is to wait until it dies and then pay thousands of $$$ to have it rebuilt.

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8035

Does it usually just suddenly die though. Is it a common thing?The reason I raise this question is that i;m sure other people has a auto vr4 as well but whilst its still working fine they have yet to raise much alarm. Where there is only 1 post i can see on the forum of your link...

Learning all the info and protecting my car from future problems =) thanks..

I will post pictures later on tonight when i pick up my car

G

Unregistered
They had a design fault and they do not give any warning before failure. Plenty of people have not had any dramas and some have opened up the transmission to find the fix done already. So perhaps they failed before and the previous owner had them rebuilt.

It does continue to happen regularly though, see a recent thread here -

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8670

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
If you read through the automatic transmissions thread in the Index you will see about 10 members that have had it fail. These are only the members that actually posted it in that thread. There is more.

I'm not saying the auto's suck, but you do need to be wary of their faults :)

G

Unregistered
hi, I have also just purchased a 99 legnum auto from sydney and it should be on the truck right now. Ive read of people adding a seperate trans cooler, but not sure where it will fit.... not much room anywhere. My car is not going to get much punishement as its my wife's everyday drive. it will get the odd weekend thrash when i need some fun. :)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
This thread is wierd.

And as for the auto cooler, there is a shite load of room and multiple places to mount it.....

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Welcome Jimmy, and Ben it;s not cool to hijack someone's intro thread especially seeing it's your first post.

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
Indeed..sigh..

Thanks Rob.

I had finally taken the delivery of the vr4. It is sooooo sweet..smooth and quiet and lots of grunt.

The first thing i did to the car, was a nice clean wash. =)

G

Unregistered
Sorry to give you reason to sigh Jimmy, I was just saying hello from a fellow Adelaide boy. and wanted to offer the tiny bit of info i know about the Autos.

Maybe i should keep my comments/excitement to myself next time just incase its seen as hijacking.

Anyway Congrats on you new car hope i see you around the place soon.

Ben

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
ahhhh Ben I didn't mean it that way LOL.. Its all good buddy. Yeh meeting up so time would be good..do you have vr4 as well?

Top Bottom