I think my gearbox finally died

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Just a thought, the auto box in a vr4 is the INVECS II box right.

So would the box out of a magna bolt up?

There is someone selling a box on aussiemagna. If it would work i can get contact details for you

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
What does the auto cost to rebuild? What would the labour be on R&R for that?
What does a manual box cost with all the bits- $1400 from DVR?

You do the math. Do the conversion yourself. It's not that hard. You'll have all the bits sure it might take you a week or so of an 1-2 hours per night. BUT you'll learn something in the process and have a mighty manual. I know what i'd do ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yeah OK, for $1400 there's only one course of action that makes sense now. If you decide to keep the car, the manual will make it 10 times funner. If you decide to sell it, the manual will increase the value.

No brainer.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I am keen on doing the conversion, so may go with that.

I moved the car before from the carpark to the warehouse. The car will not move in drive at idle power, i had to push down on the accelerator to get it to move and it was very jerky, when i took my foot off it almost stopped dead. I'm not so sure it is the gearbox now but am still looking to do the manual conversion. Almost feels as if a driveshaft has come off. Could be transfer case or diff as bradc mentioned.

I will have a look tomorrow as it was over 50 degrees in the warehouse today.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If the brakes were on solid and it did what you described above then I'd guess that your gearbox is the dead part.

I'd dump the ATF and see what colour it is and how much metal is inside it ;)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
What about the splines brad? I remember you posting something about that somewhere.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It won't be on the transfer case. If you put it into drive and it goes clunk bang then it is something to do with the gearbox

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Not really much of a bang, but a bit of a clunk. I guess it is was the transfer case it wouldn't be moving?

I will check out the oil tomorrow and if it is the box will go for the manual.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
good choice scottie - wish you the best of luck mate!

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Do it, Do it put the manual in and keep it.

Why sell it? It's a neat looking car.

Is more HP what your looking for?

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Scott,

From what you've described there, it's EXACTLY what happened to my old Gearbox, it was driveable, but yeah, wasn't a comforting feeling

(and that's when I purchased Madhav's gearbox:D)

But a rebuild in the gearbox or a Manual conversion is the only go.. hope you'll still drive the VR4!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Not looking for more HP at all. The manual will be the last mod i do.

As strange as it sounds, it is reassuring to hear that Donkay. I was thinking about Madhavs box alot and now i really regret not getting it. Good to hear it has fixed your problems, looks like an awesome unit.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Nah, looks like i will be going Manual.

Here is a vid i took this afternoon...

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Also apparantley, when my Mechanic dropped the auto transmission pan bolt, he said he discovered small pieces of metal (and was most likely assuming it's teeth from cogs)

But a rebuild friend of mine also apparantley mention not to drive it too much or else there won't be too much to rebuild left in the box, that's all I could help with...

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yeh i figured it is something jamming up the gears but just moved it back a forth a few times while putting it away. It even does it in netral. Doesn't matter really as it is going in the bin.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
scottie, maybe I should give you a quick go in my leggy - now that the auto has been beeded in and has the better clutch packs the shift are beautiful...

can give you the details of the guy who did the work also - it ended up costing me 3.5 all up, but he appears to have done decent work and there was lots of work in fixing mine as the driveline was rooted completely.

anyways, ket me know if you're interested.

Top Bottom