I think my gearbox finally died

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Well driving to work this morning my car started making a grinding noise. At first i didn't know it was my car but as i turned in to work the car jolted a little bit and the revs were changing. Then when i chucked it into reverse, there was a clunk and the car shook a little. The car still might be ok or something not as dramatic as the gearbox is stuffed. It still seems to drive but i am dreading going home.

I have always said that if the auto goes i would do a manual conversion but i dunno if i can be bothered so i am weighing up my options.

*Sell the car as is (for who knows how much, maybe $5000?)

*Strip the car and sell for parts (prob make more than as a whole)

*Replace gearbox with another auto (maybe 3k and a easy job)

*Replace gearbox with manual (maybe 3k and a fair hassle)

What would you do?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Black manuals are worth a fortune bro, i'd do that and at least recover most of your costs when you sell it.

Pretty shitty to hear though, hope its not as bad as it sounds

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Damn Scottie, bit of a shit go :(
If you can, a manual conversion would be sweet.
But if not, go for a rebuild.

Were there any signs that your gearbox was about to give up before it all happened?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Sell it to me for $4k cash in hand! :)

Seriously though, rebuild the auto if you like driving auto, otherwise, convert to manual and get a workshop to do it.. Parts & labour should see you come in around $4k surely?! much better proposition than loosing a whole lot of $$$ simply because you "couldn't be bothered" This way you still loose SOME money, and still dont have to be bothered doing it yourself.

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
Sell it dude , get a 1600 again.

get a new auto in it and get rid of it.

sell it as a stock car for 12k or something , sell your other bits off seperate

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Throw a new auto in and flog it off. You've already said that you're not really loving it so I reckon you'd be best off getting rid of it and getting into something you do love. Better spending the $3k & selling for $12-15k than selling it busted and losing a heap of cash.

Note that I haven't said anything in this post about yet another auto dying. I'm ever so good.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
There were no signs of this at all. Drove 1000kms this week tho but it was perfect the whole time. Even last night i did 55kms and it was perfect. Yeh i guess i will just replace the g/box and get it gone. If i had the motivation i would do a manual conversion. Maybe if one comes up for a good price i will snap it up.

Really dunno if i can be bothered returning to stock and flogging parts either. I'm just over cars, expecially when shit like this goes wrong. Stock Corolla FTW...

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Scott - I've had a stock SP23 for 4 years now as the other half's car.... shits me to tears to drive it now! Stock cars seem nice for maybe the first 12 months, then you'll be back in something higher performance/modified ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I know how you feel dude! Times like these that being into cars sucks balls.

Hope you can somehow turn it into a positive. Or at least less of a negative.

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
I've got a full manual kit to sell (see my postings in for sale section). That's gearbox, transfer box, gear change complete with cables, brackets etc, axles, brake and clutch pedals, master and slave hydraulics, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing.

As I'm now selling it with the transfer box I'd like $1400 for the lot. Done 122k's.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I saw that just before, am intersted. Is it a stock clutch? Did you hear/see it running? Also, you are keeping the cluster?

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
I reckon it would be the standard clutch but haven't separated it yet to confirm. I've had the engine running with the box in neutral. No strange noises or so heard. As for the cluster I may let that go but at the moment intend to keep it. Same for the ECU.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
do it scottie - black manual S2 legnums are hot :p

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yea, come on dude, do the conversion. Otherwise I'm changing your log in to "Pussy".

Umm, dude, can you anyway?

I am enquiring and trying to find out all i can about the conversion. No one knows if i must have the Manual ECU do they?

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Don't need the ecu just need to trick the auto one to thinking its in park. Ask Madhav about it he just had his auto converted

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got an auto box here I'll sell for NZ$700, it will cost a good $300 for freight though.

Do you know for sure it isn't the transfer or rear diff?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Nah i have no idea. I just parked it and had a look for a few minutes. Definately comming from the front tho and all symtoms seem to be box related. I had my foot firmly on the brake when switching gears and it made a fairly bad jolt and crunching noise. I will have another look in an hour or so but will be parking it here overnight and taking the work ute.

Thanks for the help guys, i will have another look soon and decide what i will do.

Top Bottom