VR4 Potential?

Rez

Idling at the Lights
First Name
a
Drive
a
Hey guys,

Was going to post this in General VR4 Discussion although couldn't for some reason.

I've heard the VR4's lack aftermarket parts (as compared to evo, skyline etc) Although in my opinion the VR4's are one of the best looking cars. Just wondering what sort of power potential you would be able to get out it without engine swaps.

Cheers,
John

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
VR4 Potentinal?

With or without turbo upgrade?

I'm making 196kwatw I. Stock tubs.

TME Steve has made 230ish stock tubs with e 85

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Stock internals?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
hedyvy4a.jpg

This will give u an idea with mods.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
VR4 Potentinal?

It's way out of date. There are some single turbo conversions making good power too head bolts seem to be weak link. Then rods.

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
A stock VR4 has about 130awkw pre-tune, 160 after a tune and boost increase.

You'll see about 200awkw with 98RON and bolt-on mods. 230ish on E85 as Daniel said.

Stock internals should be able to handle 270-300awkw with a turbo upgrade. (Same rods as a 4g93 apparently)

Goku

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kayne
Drive
1994 Galant VR-4
2000 Legnum VR-4
The most I have heard of is 500bhp (372.8aw Kw) in a twin turbo VR-4 from Japan, Some tuner or race team were using it. But even then they switched to a 4G63 in the end to gain the power they wanted from the car.

I would have loved to have seen or driven it in it's V6 form....

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Lack of readily available after market parts is what makes owning a vr4 exciting. The vr4 community itself is what is doing all the research and development. Stick around some of the discussions and you will see it first hand

Rez

Idling at the Lights
First Name
a
Drive
a
Lack of readily available after market parts is what makes owning a vr4 exciting. The vr4 community itself is what is doing all the research and development. Stick around some of the discussions and you will see first it hand

Sounds pretty good! Currently have a magna and still on my p's although the lack of aftermarket support compared to commodore/falcon has made it hard at some points, but also been quite a bit of an adventure and have something unique!

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Well I tried to edit my poor grammar but it still remains in your post.lol.

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
I'm also hazarding a guess that the limited space in the engine bay is why we don't see many turbo upgrades or people upgrading for huge power figures with this engine.
I'd still love to see it done though.

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
Sounds pretty good! Currently have a magna and still on my p's although the lack of aftermarket support compared to commodore/falcon has made it hard at some points, but also been quite a bit of an adventure and have something unique!

youre still on your p's the last thing you should be worried about is trying to make lots of power. these cars are a great all rounder package for a "relatively" cheap price point compared to alot of other cars out there. a car capable of doing a 14.0 1/4 mile in standard trim is plenty quick enough for driving on the road and the handling is good enough to give most nissans a scare through the hills.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Can a standard VR4 really pull off a 14.0 1/4 mile? I know my auto Legnum used to pull off low to mid 15 second quarter miles.

Rez

Idling at the Lights
First Name
a
Drive
a
Pretty much posted this thread up to get an idea of the potential of the car, else i'd try and save up for an evo, chaser etc

I'm on my ps and this is my third turbo car haha

I was originally looking at getting a galant, but decided to get a magna so when i break stuff (and I usually do) can easily go to wreckers and grab what i need :)

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
I pulled a 13.6 with a cat back and 14 pound. But the guys think mines had a time before I got it. Personally I just think its because I'm the Stig.

Top Bottom