which air filter is better??

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Toss a coin Mick. You would notice a slight difference over a stock element when using either of these but would notice basically zero difference swapping between the two.

I would just go the cheaper HKS unit.

Oh, and if you go the HKS, make sure you keep the element at least a little oiled up as air filter foam likes to be oiled. It will last longer imo. Some will say that it doesn't need to be but only because it is a serviceable/disposable part, whereas the K&N is designed to last 1m K's

G

Unregistered
Pretty much whichever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside will be the best for you.

Oh, and if you go the HKS, make sure you keep the element at least a little oiled up as air filter foam likes to be oiled.

Interesting, so do you run an oiled HKS? That filter oil makes a horrible mess and is so sticky, I hate oiling up filters. And I thought it could get into the MAF and upset things? Sounds like treading a fine line.

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
ok mate thanks for the advice. had a feeling there wasnt much difference just thought id double check. using the stock air box with are good filter is heaps better then using a pod hey?? cause just took my custom piping n put back standard on so i could fit the stock box back on there. cause the block made the piping with the pod on there so box wouldnt fit

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
DID have a HKS unit before i just put a stock one back in. The HKS unit went all dry and brittle because it wasn't oiled. Just go down to your local motorbike shop and get a can of Silkolene pro filter oil. Just give it a light spray on the side that faces the incoming air then just tap it through.

Just a little bit as i said will be fine and or dandy.

G

Unregistered
DID have a HKS unit before i just put a stock one back in. The HKS unit went all dry and brittle because it wasn't oiled. Just go down to your local motorbike shop and get a can of Silkolene pro filter oil. Just give it a light spray on the side that faces the incoming air then just tap it through.

Just a little bit as i said will be fine and or dandy.

I've already got a bottle of Belray filter oil here, but it involves pouring into a tray, squishing through the filter and then patting all the excess out :sad: The spray sounds much better!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
They'll be half of SFA difference between the 2 filters.

I remember reading a dyno test between the factory intake set up and having no filter at all. The result? Zero power difference.

Given that no aftermarket filter can flow better than having no filter at all, there won't be a substantial difference between decent brand aftermarket air filters.

For further reading, go here:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111486/article.html

Top Bottom