Worst D.I.Y. job you've done on your Legnum/Galant

G

Unregistered
well, i think I've done the worst job ill ever have to do...

i removed the factory light grey on dark grey interior from the 25ST,
and fitted a 99 facelift red on black interior,

of course i had left the best for last..... the dash,
wow what a :wanker:eek:f a job, 4 hours worth by itself and it was bloody hot today!!

wouldn't have been so bad, except i couldn't get the steering wheel off. so had to slide and lift the dash over it.

oh and did i mention that the alarm is installed in a part of the loom that comes out with the dash and it was all black wires :mad:

never ever doing that again!!!

happy with the upgraded interior thou :bigsmile:

so whats the what the worst D.I.Y. job you have ever had to do in your 8G?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
hrmmm, worst so far is just changing the plugs (removing intake mainfold) so not that bad. However on a previous car (EF Fairmont Ghia) had to replace the blend door motor fro the climate control. Dash out Job, so I know how much of a pain that is!! full day job to change that fecker.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i think mine's the intercooler - painting it black.. it made my economy sh!t.. 450 down to 350..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Carsten is the dash that difficult to remove on ALL 8G's?

I dunno about worst job, but worst cock-up I've made was melting a brand new headlamp... :banghead: The second-worst was modding the climate control with purple LEDs - while the colour is awesome, you can't actually see what its doing :( The latter is easily fixed though, the former slightly more difficult but doable.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Replacing head gaskets, cam cover gaskets, distributor (NA 6a13), all timing pulleys and belts.. and I STILL have a whistling bearing somewhere!

anphoto

Crunching Gears
First Name
Alan
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4 in Red :D
hmmm, nothing yet on the Legnum, but on a previous car a Mazda MX-6, i had a water leak into the drivers footwell, this took me a month to trace, including entire interior out, dash, seats, carpet, half the wiring loom!!
Then the bonnet and front wing had to come off, and guess what, the leak was caused by a blockage in a drainage hole, the water was backing up and seeping through the bulkhead, unblocked the drainage hole that you could only see when the wing was off!
Covered the bulkhead inside & out with silicone sealant, rebuilt the dashboard / interior, was left with half a dozen screws, with no f***ing idea where they came from, however, the dashboard no longer rattled! and no water leak, that was 5 years ago now :D :D

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Worst as in shittest.

I had rust bubbles on the boot lid of my rx3... I was 17, I put bog on over the paint, sanded it a little bit... then just left if like that until I sold it. So fail.

Apart from that remove / replacing the gear box on my own in my guilietta 3 times because that's how many times I killed it. That was horrible. Using my guts as the trolley was part of the fun..

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I'm waiting for Nick to post about the "stitches" in the front bar of the FrankenPlow... lol

kasperflipped

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
trent
Drive
1997 legnum
Ive only had my legnum a week so i havent had any really bad jobs but while installing my boost gauge and running the piping up under the front gaurd i had to jack up and remove the drivers front wheel and being lazy i just used the car jack and "jack thing" to lift the car, 2 turns into the raise, i swipped the ground with my hand and remove all the skin on each of my knuckles on the road. AWESOME!!!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Worst DIY job was double-sided taping my side skirt BRACKETS on Loki to the chassis. So technically, the Super VR4 sideskirts were held on at only two points of the six with the proper fittings. People would accidentally kick it when getting in/out and it would rattle.

Finally got my arse into gear two weeks ago (yep, 16 months later) to actually fix them properly (plastic square lugs, screws, etc).

Am I like that with maintenance? Hell no. Engine/Drivetrain vs bodykit... hmm...

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
mine would have to be changing suspension from lowered to stock, its a bugger trying to get the taller stock ones into the space of the lowered items. took about 1 hour a corner !!!!

G

Unregistered
Carsten is the dash that difficult to remove on ALL 8G's?

its the same dash on all JDMs so sorta,

it was only hard because of the alarm wiring and i couldnt get the steering wheel off!

otherwise it would have been 2.5hours tops out and in.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
After doing my Torque converter seal I have no love left for the legnum

G

Unregistered
lol,

ill be taking the gearbox out of mine for the second time this coming weekend,
it is exactly a year ago since it was last out, and 7 or 8 months since i had the rear diff out

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
after running a sealed battery to the boot,i clumsily put my old wet cell battery in the boot to take home,forgot about it in their and found it 2 days later fallen over,had spilled battery acid through my boot and ate away little holes all over my carpet.

never felt so stupid,could only laugh

but wait..theres more..
after taking my a-pillar off 4 months ago to fibre glass a custom boost gauge mould,i finally went to the effort to finish ita couple weeks ago,just to realise the wet fibre-glass had slipped and the gauge was telling my knee what psi i was running

Top Bottom