COIL ON PLUG setup for the VR4

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Recent tuning has shown the need for a better ignition setup on the V6.
To this end, I have been discussing possabilities with Mark Boxel, aka GT-PUMPS, in Sydney.

Mark has produced the COP setup that a lot of the Evo runners are using, myself included.
He is keen to develope a kit, but he will need access to a head, or both heads, if the mounting layout is different between the two.
Probably for only a week or two he thinks.

So we need someone in Sydney to be the guinne pig, so-to-speak.

Any one interested?

And could I get a starting show of hands for those who would buy if the pricing was for example 600-700. I dont know what the price will be, thats
just a rough guess, dont hold me to it!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
If we could get them down to SA for not much postage as a group and possibly even a discounted install as a group (as I am a noob and have no idea how to go about anything lead/plug related) I would probably be interested at that sort of price.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Im definitely interested, but I'm in the wrong state for being the guinea pig

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
If he wants a quick look my car will be at Meek on Wednesday

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I was wondering that too Scott. I'm guessing it fires all of the plugs still, but has individual coil packs.

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
^ bradc is correct, like the Evo setup, coils are fired in pairs.

It is still wasted spark, without the losses. In addition, all plugs get the electricty jumping the gap in the right direction, which improves the spark.

I found the coil dwell-time table in the V6 ROMs code on the weekend, same as in the Evos, so the proposed setup is code compatible without changes.
It could be changed if required for some special application though.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
So is this kit effectively an aftermarket coil for each plug? Does it use the stock ecu injector drivers? Or will it have an aftermarket driver unit as well?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if it replaces the 3 stock coilpacks with 6 individual ones without major modifications to your ecu & harness.. I'M ALL IN!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Nope will do nothing for Power. It will just ensure the spark is always strong enough for whatever air/fuel mix is in the combustion chamber.
For economy, may ensure better burning of the fuel, THUS you dont put your foot down for same "feeling" but again, its about proper maintenance / better burning rather than power/economy improvements.

Basically, it will allow you to run higher boost, ignition timing WITHOUT the system breaking down, therefore you get more reliable higher power.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
space and mounting might be an issue

maybe mounted to the underside of the strut bar...i dunno, im thinkin aloud here

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
space and mounting might be an issue

maybe mounted to the underside of the strut bar...i dunno, im thinkin aloud here

shouldn't be.. you only need to lift the plenum for about 1" or so, so you can have enough space to remove the plugs.. so space isn't really an issue.. maybe the heat dissipation.. might consider putting in heatsinks or small air duct to cool it down?

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
^ Hotwire's comments are on the money, though I would add that I noticed an improvement in off-idle response when I fitted the kit to my E9.
I would surmise thats the result of a bigger spark event.

Space shouldne be a problem, the stock coils fit in there and they are bigger than the replacement coils.

smoekey, I think you might be muddling terminology there, this is ignition not injection. But guessing you question, it would use the stock ECU as per normal.
With the addition of a simple plug-n-play wiring loom that connects the all the coils correctly. It realy is an easy upgrade mod, it took Mark less than 10 minutes to fit it to my car.

qball, pop in and see Mark when you get there and let him know you are interested, he may want to take a look-see.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Sorry, yes I meant ignition. I alway get the two words mixed up, but I know what I'm talking about.. honest!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
hey Dave,

just wondering if how we are going with this? I think I would want this soon :)

my ignition coils and HT leads are starting to go.. if I was gonna spend money on replacing the ignition coils and HT leads.. might as well do this...

reeve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
Warrior:1998 Legnum VR4 Daily:2006 Kawasaki ZX12R
yea keen here!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom