COIL ON PLUG setup for the VR4

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I asked Mark about it a month or so ago before I changed plugs and he had some vague it didn't work answer, something like, "yeah we looked at that, I didn't think it worked...." Probably worth trying him again but I didn't get the impression he was very interested.

Then I cleaned the coils, changed the plugs to 7's and ran a 0.8 gap, at 18psi of boost it's all good so.... You could always go to a 0.7 gap too....

Still if a setup existed I'd potentially be interested depending on price....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
few questions with our oem setup..

I know we have dual coil on plug according to Diamond Electrics (manufacturer of our coilpack) hence we're only using 3.. here's the link

what I want to know is.. do each individual coilpack fire simultaneously? as in coilpacks for cylinder 4 & 1, 2 & 5, 6 & 3 fire at the same time?

also does anyone here have any diagram showing what wire is what leading to the coilpacks?

Im gonna try and make this myself with the help of my dad..

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
The coil packs fire individually. The only reason its called wasted spark is because one cylinder in each pair wastes a spark when each coil pack fires.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Scott, do you mean it sparks on both front and rear banks, but only one has a mixure to be ignited therefore the spark in the other does nothing? i guess that does make sense lol

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Some further info on the coil problem:

There is a siezed VR4 block at MEEKs that I looked at yesterday. The second bank under the manifold does not have any coil mounting points, which rather precludes the fitting of any coils there.

The engines coils and leads were there - the lead set being a Ralliart set, so I measured the resistance of these - typically 650-680 ohms.
This is much lower resistance than you get with a typical commercial plug lead, which is why the Ralliart leads are so good, plus the plug end mouldings are a perfect fit etc.

So, I think the most simple and effective upgrade is:

1. clean your coil packs with alchohol

2. fit new plugs gapped at 0.8mm

3. fit a set of new Ralliart VR4 plug leads

And Chris swears to me they will do the job, and yes he does stock them.

For info, the Ralliart leads are only about 5mm dia and colour blue if you want to check yours.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
It might be possible to use two front rocker covers to get around the lack of mounting points on the rear bank. I don't recall if the number of/placement of bolt holes is different, but I think its the same.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I understood that it was not about thickness but more about resistance ...

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK if you're comparing cables of the same chemical makeup, thicker generally means lower resistance.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
ok, slight update.. not really a good one and not a bad one either

have sized up some denso coils and non of them fit.. overall diameter of the denso coils themselves are bigger than our spark plug holes.. nothing to worry about though, the guy selling the coils can remove few milimeters off the casing so it'll fit in our engines.. I asked if this would weaken the coils and said it shouldn't cause the cover themselves are pretty thick..

will be coming back within a week or less to trial fit them again and hopefully it does fit so I can take it home and fit it..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
can someone please verify if the wiring stated below is correct.. I would like to know if the color coding is the same across Facelift and Prefacelift...

on every ignition coil.. there are 3 wires in every connector..

on Cylinder 2..
White Stripe on Black, Black, White & Green

on Cylinder 4..
White Stripe on Black, Black, Blue Stripe on Black

on Cylinder 6..
White Stripe on Black, Black, Red & Black

I need this info so I can start on my COP harness..

And btw.. most likely this is the style of Denso Ignition Coil that I'm gonna use .. reason for this, if we I use the coil with the flat connector rather than on angle, it'll hit the next coil..
Denso Coil.jpg

Currently waiting for Anthony (from AE86Drivingclub.com.au) to reply with the modded coils..

Also these are the connectors that he can also supply..
CIMG2167.jpg

so hopefully by the end of this week I'll have it installed in the car.. :)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
on Cylinder 2..
White Stripe on Black, Black, White & Green - Coil Pack 2

on Cylinder 4..
White Stripe on Black, Black, Blue Stripe on Black - Coil Pack 1

on Cylinder 6..
White Stripe on Black, Black, Red & Black - Coil Pack 3

The White stripe on Black / Black I'm not sure on, but the control wires to the ECU match up with the PinOut guide for the ECU, although coilpack # seems odd to cylinder location:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?6395-ECU-Pin-Out-Complete-for-VR4

Top Bottom