100k service help please.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
So I have removed everything on the LHS of the engine but am stuck on the pulley at the bottom in the center. I think I have to remove it to get the plastic cover off t oget to the timing belt?

I have the AC / PS belts still on but they are loose so I could pull them off if I have to.

I have no idea and seat of my pants-ing it.

On another topic of massive fail, I though it might be work putting a socket on one of the game gears to see if I could lock the engine so I could actually crack the nut on the bottom center pulley... and it sounded like I managed to skipp that cam forward 3 notches.... which I'm sure has ****ed my timing and if I'm really lucky has damged the teeth on the gears inside.

I assume that the cam has some fine cog teeth on it somewhere, it made a click sound 3 times kind of like when a really tight bolt losens.

... sigh.

G

Unregistered
The bottom pulley bolt is usually cracked using a long bar and cranking over the engine with the cam and crank sensors diconnected to stop the engine starting. This is no longer an option for you now so you will have to make up a tool to lock the crank. There are 2 holes on the pulley for the tool to lock into but the pulley can be easily cracked as it is fairly brittle.
Are you a member on CVR4 as there is a good guide there

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Cheers Peter,

I am pending membership to clubvr4.

I might be able to crank the engine still. I really have nfi if I moved the cam.

It didn't skip teeth on the belt. I'm thinking I just tightened the nut a couple of cracks.

G

Unregistered
If you can check the timing marks all line up then you should know if it has jumped some teeth. just be careful turning the engine in case it does start to lock up

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
only if the belts/timing is all well and good try this method for undoing your stubborn bolt

this is an old school trick i learnt, did it on a 4 cylinder engine and worked beatifully for undoing a very stubborn harmonic balancer bolt

1. go down to bunnings and grab your self some soft, thin rope/twine/string/whatever (small enough to fit down a spark plug hole)
2. take out cylinder no.1 spark plug
3. hand crank the engine to just after top dead centre
4. now feed that rope you just bought at bunnings down cylinder number one until you cant fit any more in. then turn the motor back as far as itll go till it locks
5. grab you breaker bar and whater extention necessary and undo
6.remove string
7.whack spark plug back in

the idea is to lock your engine so that it cant move what so ever, and the idea is that the string will be soft enough not to damage the inside of the engine

hope this helps if it works in your situation

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
Patrol, Sil80, Legnum VR4 TypeS
borrow/hire a compressor and rattle gun

Top Bottom