17" versus 18"

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Gents.

Sarcasm and tongue in cheek is a subtle art not well versed by such manly, wide wheeled, blunt tools such as yourselves ;)

Remember, the receipt of a signal is only as good as the quality of the transmission - rubbish in, rubbish out ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Nope, I briefly considered taking Bruce out on a make up date but he insisted earlier in this thread that I pay, and knowing his stance on welfare, I thought he might get a little uncomfortable.

Well Tim, given that it's my taxes that pay for your welfare, I'm fairly comfortable with the notion that in the end, I end up paying for my own lunch ;)

*Sacrcasm hat off* - Just in case someone's sarcasm detector (subsidised by welfare) is broken ;)

G

Unregistered
unclepaulie said:
they havent arrived yet, but theyre anz rage's, like Gly has, cept mine are getting powdercoated matte black

like Gly HAD
had Evo X Forged BBS mags fitted for a while now

x4.JPG

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Me too. The more I see them the more I am starting to appreciate them! :)

Sloth

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
Galant VR4, Legnum VR4
Can I just try to summarise the info here?

Wheel DIAMETER - personal preference between 17s and 18s

Wheel WIDTH - 8.5 or 9 inch

Wheel OFFSET - 38mm

This should fit, clear Brembos, allow some lowering & not require guard rolling.

Correct??

PS: for 40 years I have used a very rough guide for better wheel/tyre sizing to improve overall grip/response: 1 inch larger diameter, 1 inch wider, tyre to match original rolling diameter. Has always worked as a good compromise - I put grip & handling ahead of looks.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Brembo fitment is dependant on wheel style as well.... Some just don't clear them regardless of width or offset :)

And you would need to go 2 inchs wider on our cars as they come with poxy 6.5" width wheels lol

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Glad I found this thread as I have been debating on 17" or 18" when mine finally arrives. If I have to buy new tyres for compliance I may as well get the rims at the same time!

Regarding the insurance though, as has been said, the insurance policy will list anything and everything, but it does NOT mean they will pay up! My mate has a 2001 Legacy and rang Just Cars and asked whether they would insure it with a electronic boost controller. They said yeah no worries and no increase in premium. He then rephrased his question and asked if they would insure it in the case of an accident. The answer was a flat "NO". Why? Because it is illegal. So yes they will take your premiums, they will give you a sense of security, but if you have an accident, good luck.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Regarding the insurance though, as has been said, the insurance policy will list anything and everything, but it does NOT mean they will pay up! My mate has a 2001 Legacy and rang Just Cars and asked whether they would insure it with a electronic boost controller. They said yeah no worries and no increase in premium. He then rephrased his question and asked if they would insure it in the case of an accident. The answer was a flat "NO". Why? Because it is illegal. So yes they will take your premiums, they will give you a sense of security, but if you have an accident, good luck.

The fellow that originally said that sounds like he knows what he's going on about ;)

So yes, lesson is that having an item listed on the policy does not automatically mean that you are covered - it is your responsibility to comply with the PDS conditions, which will almost always include a clause requiring you to keep your car legal and roadworthy.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Can I just try to summarise the info here?

Wheel DIAMETER - personal preference between 17s and 18s

Wheel WIDTH - 8.5 or 9 inch

Wheel OFFSET - 38mm

Perfect :) Offset can be around 35-40mm and will look ok. As for brembo fitment, as said above, it is down to the shape of the spokes as much as the offset.

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
Thanks Bruce and Tim, very entertaining thread.

If the look of wheels/tires/guards is important to you go 18s. If you take your car to the track you will go through a lot more rubber and the tires for 17s are much cheaper and from what I have read, the greater sidewall height works better at the limit. F1 cars have quite a lot of sidewall.

Top Bottom