2001 MX5

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
We are looking at a '01 MX5 for Wife. British racing green, hard top, 6 Spd, 90,000k, 100% stock, one owner with books and $20k.
Seems pretty cheap and she loves it.
Anyone had experiance with these? Any known probs?
Cheers,
Jason

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
No experience personally (doubt I would fit under the roof! haha) BUT they have ALWAYS had rave reviews from motor mags. If she likes it, go for it I say ;)

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
I've got a mate thats a mechanic working at a nissan/mazda workshop and rates them very highly for what they are...no cosistent major problems he has seen. Also drives a turbo capri thats full of mx5 parts.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Well thanks, every 2000 or newer I have found on eBay or carpoint or trading post blah, blah is over 25k so I dont get why this one is only 20k at a dealer? It had the timing belt done at the reco. 85k and all. One owner always serviced by Mazda so I don't see a prob. To the best I can tell the B16/18 engines are bullet proof. Maybe I am missing something?
We like the hard top (heated glass rear window) and Wife is a bit of a Vampire anyway, lol. Think we will buy it, she doesn't wanna comit till the VR-4 is sorted :( He is going to an Auto Elec. tomorrow for a check and then to fix the issue.

Justin, when are you coming out to play?

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
I love the Sig :)
P.S I don't have a sis lol

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
I'll try my best to be at next SA cruise/meet!!! Was going to have the car at all japan day but only recently discovered myself and the car have to be in the riverland that weekend for some family bullshit:banghead:. Dam i havent let them know i'm pulling out yet...better get onto it.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
im a mazda mechanic...im the guy in the workshop who always gets the mx5's! yup they are pretty bullet proof. only real issue they haveis water pump leaking so when you get the cambelt done replace the waterpump, along with cam and crank seals and tensioner spring. umm yea will you be working on it yourself or taking it to a mechanic?

i cant actually thing of anything major apart from cambelts, waterpumps and clutches i have had to do to them...its the 323/astina engine and they have used the bloody thing for years so yea...

o yeah dont put a pod filter on it!!! and make sure the battery is a proper mx5 one

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Cheers for that Dave, We bought the MX5 today, take delivery Wednesday.
One owner, 100% stock with hardtop. $21,500 with 6 months rego, inc stamp duty and all the little scratches I found fixed up. I am happy, Wife is stoked.
It has 91,900k on it and the cam belt/major service done at the recommended 85k so looks all good. :)

Why no pod??
It feels a little sluggish down low, I thought a pod and exhaust would have fixed this??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Congrats on the new car Jase - hopefully it will be a little less difficult than the Galant's been lately!

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
they are like that, dont know why. they have a little hesitation down low. its just the way they are.

get an exhaust but the pod screws with the maf in them. take it to a mazda dealer and ask for base idle and timing is correct.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Okay, so we pick up the MX5 (Mr Fox, maybe Basil) on Wednesday, has anyone got any pics of British Racing Green MX5's with nice mags?
Or got any suggestions for a nice set of wheel's??
I think it would look sweet with 18's but dont think 18x8's would fit under the front and as most 18x7 or 7.5's are for FWD's then they prolly wouldn't fit either. I think a 17x7 +42 is about right?
So I think we are going to be stuck with 17's but any suggestions are very welcome :)
Wife says as I got my way with the Gally she is allowed to ask you guys for advice, lol

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^Not bad Jason, but I think this would suit better:
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=82517x7 in gold to offset the green :)

bg_Kama_Gold.jpg

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
I agree with lee on on that! Seen these (or something close to these) on a blue mx5 and they looked awesome...imagine it would have the same effect on your green beast.

Top Bottom