4 litres of oil dumped onto the road

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Alright, so i was being a bit of a genius last night.
I topped up my oil a bit and forgot to put the oil cap back on. Wtf aye?
So i drove off. Blasted through the city, onto the Harbour Bridge and off to take some photos when i noticed a massive oil patch at the bottom of the car. I'm thinking, oh shit here we go.
Opening the bonnet revealed a complete mess. The whole engine bay was covered in thick, dirty oil.
So i'm stuck in the North Shore, with my hood up, my hat on and calling for NRMA to tow the car back home because my oil cap was gone.
Nearly all my oil was pumped out.

Anyway, the car gets towed home and I take the Magna to buy some crappy 5-40w Havoline Fully Synthetic oil to replace what i lost for now. It's all i could get at that hour :cool:
I took the car to the car wash, degreased the engine bay and washed it with the gernie.

Anyway, i overfilled the oil a litre or two and had driven the car for around 25kms like that. I drained the excess oil this morning.
I'm now wondering if i've done any big harm to the engine having an extra litre or two of oil in there for a not-so-long drive?
The car doesn't seem to be running as "sharp" as it did with the full sump of Amsoil. I'm not sure if it's because of the crap oil in there, overfilling with oil or using the gernie in the engine bay LOL
Also, while the sump was overfilled, the dipstick had a 3 tiny bubbles on it after pulling it out.

I honestly hope i haven't stuffed the engine from this whole ordeal.

PC190199.jpg

PC200253.jpg

PC200257.jpg

PC200260.jpg

G

Unregistered
you might have blown excess oil into the turbo pipes,
the oil will lower the effective octane rating of the gas, making the car less powerful/responsive

you will have to remove ALL pipes, and intercooler to clean it all out,

thats what happened to one of the guys on clubvr4

G

Unregistered
As well as that by the looks of your air snorkel you will need to remove the air filter and clean out the pipes leading to it. Have a look at your oil filter and see if it has started to blow up like a balloon as the excess oil pressure will need to go some were.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks for the replies. I removed most of the piping but not the intercooler. Gave them a good wipe. Most of the piping seemed pretty clean. Oil filter seems fine as well.

What about the bubbles though? I'm noticing bubbles on the dipstick after checking while engine is on. If i check when the engine is off and at rest, there's minimum or no bubbles. Is this normal? Or am i getting frothing from the over fill incident last night?

PC200265-1.jpg

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Damn Dimi I could imagine what was happening under the bonnet !!

I made the idiotic mistake once to top up my engine oil.... while the engine was running still. Only made that mistake once :redface:

Hope everything is cool though. Maybe won't see you tomorrow up at Newie ?

G

Unregistered
Do you have anyway to test the oil pressure at idle and 3k rpm. then compare to stock oil pressures if anyone can confirm them. If there isnt any huge difference you will be ok the bubbles may just be some air bleeding from the pump and oil gallerys.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
i did the same thing after topping up my oil. left the cap off and drove for about 2kms. Stopped at a set of lights and wondered what the smell was. Lucky i still had the cap it was lodged in the engine bay. After whiping it all down the smell still lasted for a while, but lesson learned

Top Bottom