First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
What ?
metal plate that goes in your oil sump.

Why ?
during sustained high speed cornering oil can slosh up one side of the oil sump and next minute dead engine. Super common in Honda world at least.

Question
Had a search through this forum but haven't seen anyone mention installing, or even discussing, use of baffle plates.

Does anyone know of anyone with a 6a13 doing this mod ?

-D

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Tomei sell a "universal" baffle that you cut and weld into your sump. But your better off buying some sheet metal and folding something up yourself.
What you wanna try and do is prevent large volumes of oil sloshing away (toward the flywheel end of the motor) under cornering

Not a 6A13 but heres one I did for a 4AGE. see the baffle plate encapsulates the lower portion of the sump preventing the oil rapidly sloshing away from the pickup but has some drainback holes so oil can readily return to the pickup area under normal running.
NOTE THE DIPSTICK HOLE in the top right corner. Seen people make a baffle and glue the sump back on without it, and it makes checking the oil kinda hard...

If you're experiencing prolonged surge, for example the sweeper at hampton downs then no ammount of baffling will help you, youll need an accusump or similar to maintain pressure.
20200428_134606.jpg
20200428_134616.jpg

djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
It really was that sweeper at Hampton Downs that got me thinking about this. Will go watch some videos of Manfield to see what the worst corners look like there

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Its really only right hand corners that will hurt a 6A13 given the sump bowl is all the way on the drivers side of the car. Oil cant really go anywhere under accel/decel. Like i said above its it sloshing down to the flywheel end of the block thats all you need to worry about.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
I'm looking to reseal my sump soon - I'm keen to draw up a dxf to get something laser cut that can be welded in. Will post up my design.

@6A13TT TYPE S are you thinking it would need the plate only or baffles around the pickup?

Top Bottom