Pics: Oil leaking from the sump plug. Washer?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Ok, i've just done an oil change on the car two nights ago. All going well until today, i peered under the car and noticed a small patch of oil underneath. Oil seems to be seeping from the sump plug.
Could this be the sump plug washer? Or the whole plug itself?
After draining the oil that night, I tightened the bolt just fine, without over-tightening it. But it was a bit of a hassle to get off to initially drain the sump and i had to give it a few good goes to loosen it.

What do you reckon? Buy a new sump plug and washer all together?

Checked under the car today...
Leak.jpg

After giving the plug and surrounding a good wipe down
PA270435.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hope you didn't ruin the thread on the sump.. Otherwise that'll be a few $$$ to weld a new one on..

About the plug, just go to autobarn and get the magnetic sump plug for mitsubishi, I believe it's all the same.. About the washer make sure you get the copper crush washer so it holds on tight without dripping

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks Chris. I called Super Cheap Auto and Autobarn and they both had no idea what i was talking about. They both asked for what model and they could only find sump plugs for older HH galants.

Do you know what the part number is for our sump plug and washer?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
tell the guys from autobarn and supercheap.. they're dumb.. since our cars are imported.. they won't find it in their database... you can check under FTO or HJ Galant since our car shares the same motor but smaller..

tell them to supply you a copper washer to suit the sump plug.. as long as internal diameter isn't ALOT bigger than the plug's thread.. also the outside diameter a little (maybe 1 or 2mm wider) than the plug's head..

naturally the copper washer is a softer metal so they get "crushed" when you tighten them up.. hence they use it on brake hose end's application (Banjo & NPT) so no brake fluid leaks out.. :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Dimi I'm fairly sure Mitsubishi used the same size plug for most of their cars. My replacement aly one was a 'universal' mitsubishi plug.

Speaking of which, why don't you get an aly one from Ivan? I'm sure he can overnight it to you if you need it in a hurry...

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Awesome. Thanks Chris. So a sump plug from an FTO or HJ Galant is a direct fit for us?

Hey Trev, i'd like to get one off Ivan, but i'm looking at getting a sump plug and washer asap as oil is leaking (slowly) and i'd like to have this fixed by tomorrow night.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
last thing.. if its leaking a little bad.. check your control arm's rubber bushes see if oil got into them.. if it did.. degrease it.. it'll save you from buying a new control arm or new bushes..

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Can i use a rubber o-ring (from bunnings) as a washer until i get the new sump plug and copper washer?

P.S: Tried to PM ivan but his inbox is full. I'll give it a go again later.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
bro, part number is

MD050316 - Plug Engine Oil Pan...
MD050317 - Gasket (washer)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Can i use a rubber o-ring (from bunnings) as a washer until i get the new sump plug and copper washer?

P.S: Tried to PM ivan but his inbox is full. I'll give it a go again later.

A BIG NO NO.. rubber o-rings expands when hot.. so no..

G

Unregistered
There have been a couple of these sumps that have cracked around the plug. Are you sure it is the washer and not that .

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks for the reply Pete. I've added an extra washer (copper one) this afternoon to the sump plug as well as the factory washer ontop and tightened it nicely, but not too much. I'll give it a day or two of running and see how it goes and report back.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hi Dimi, what was the end result of this?
I seem to have the exact same problem - serviced my leggy on saturday, took it for a 40 minute drive on sunday, and then noticed a few hours later a substantial leak from the plug. The plug was on pretty tight so Im really worried the sump could be cracked.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Basically, the old washer on it was warn, so i went to bunnings, got myself a copper washer (which was slightly bigger for the nut as I couldn't find the right size), tightened it up nicely and it was all sorted. No leaks ever again.

Let me know how you go.

G

Unregistered
Both Repco and Supercheap (and I think Autobarn too) sell a pack of assorted crush washers in brass and aluminium for only a few dollars. They are usually hanging on the spinning 'Champion' racks with the split pins, clips & other stuff. To minimise chances of galvanic corrosion, use copper for a steel sump (engine) and aluminium for an aluminium sump (transmission).

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
or you can change it to a magnetic sump plug which usually comes with the washer already..

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Well I put on the new magnetic sump plug the other night and left a bucket underneath to see if it has leaked. 2 days later I have checked it and it has leaked about 30ml. So looks like there must be a crack on the sump near where the plug goes in.

So looks like I need a new sump. Do these get welded in or can they be unbolted - looks like they bolt in, but are they welded too?

G

Unregistered
I think they can just be unbolted, but from memory some of the bolts might be hard to get at due to the exhaust being in the way.

You can always try putting a tiny dab of silicone on the sump plug thread to see if that helps.

If you can clean the oil off the outside and not drive the car for a day perhaps you can locate for sure where it's coming from?

I wonder if there is some way of highlighting where the oil is, such as dusting it with some white flour when cleaned up and then seeing where it gets stained from the oil.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
they can be unbolted.. but you'll need new sump gasket (I think its that cork type material)

also while at it.. you might as well check out your bottom end and appreciate the crankshaft :)

Top Bottom