A warning for those driving on the tyres that came with the car

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Firstly some background. I've had my Legnum for almost a year. Bought from a dealer in Tokyo with a full documented inspection, 200+ photos etc. Not a problem to speak of. The car has been brilliant until the last month or so when I noticed a vibration on the highway, indicating to me that either a wheel was out of balance or slightly buckled. Okay fair enough, service is due shortly so I'll deal with it then.

Heading to Bunnings on Saturday I heard a loud almost 'twang' sounding noise while turning though a corner. Got to bunnings, found a park and dropped to my knees to look under the car.

This is how it now sits at home.

P1010555.jpg

and this is why.

P1010556.jpg

P1010557.jpg

P1010558.jpg

P1010559.jpg

Believe it or not the tyres were still holding air. Needless to say the car was jacked up right where it sat at Bunnings and wheels were removed there and then. These are good quality tyres folks, Bridgstone Potenzas, and never in my travels have I seen one tyre do this, let alone 3.

I'm just glad I didn't put the car thru its paces earlier that day at the Evo Oz LVMA.

Trav.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Wow. Lucky you hear the twang! What width are the rims? There's no real signs of long term rubbing on there, maybe it's only a problem when cornering? Weird.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Wow! Even if they were new they might have ended up looking like that if you had done the Mt Cotton session :)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Wholy snapping ducks poo Trav, WTF, is it possible that some road bourne chemical could have done this...... I'd be sending these pics to Bridgestone and asking for a please explain??

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
zero rubbing, didn't look what width the rims are. If these tyres were purchased in this country I'd definately be following it up, but since they've originated from Japan, plus I don't know how they've been treated over there, I don't really have much to substantiate an argument.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Wow lucky you found out the way you did and not some other less forgiving way! BTW shouldn't your tyres have been changed for compliance? I thought that compliance was meant to fit new "Australia standard" tyres? Mind you my "clear" branded tyres aren't much either I suspect.

G

Unregistered
I agree, holy crap!, but it's a compliance requirement to change the tyres isn't it? ;)

Oh, and HOORAH for bright green hubs!

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Mine weren't changed, they aren't available in Australia

Yea, hear what your saying, mine came with Bridgestone B500-Si tyres so there gone whether or not tread bars are showing (my justification for I want new tyres) they are scarey................ I just ordered 4 new Yokohama 235/45/ZR17 ADVANSports and booked for fitting on Friday (wanted S-Drives but unavailable, so getting ADVANSports-V103 at same price - $265ea instead of $328 - bargain.

Trav those things are dangerous, could you imagine those in a high speed emergency situation......lethal

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
They were changed at compliance.........I just happened to change them back ;)
Kat, I've had a front tyre blow at 110kph. I know exactly how scary it is!

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Maybe they put oz tyres on for compliance then changed them back after they'd certified mine........ mine are gone, I'm not risking that sort of disaster, thanks for the reality check trav

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
The car is predominantly used by my wife with our 3 yo son in the back. I'd hate to think what might have been if one of these tyres let go on them. It sure pays to do a 'pre flight check' every now and then for a little piece of mind.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea but hard to check the inside tire wall... Makes me glad I replace tires every 12 months. I once had the outside rear tire blow going hard round a 90° bend onto the freeway a few years ago, I felt the back end sway out as the tire tore off the inside edge of the rim and the car moved over a whole lane but fortunately it was 3am so no other traffic. Straightened up and parked on the emergency lane - the lads in the back of the car hadn't even realised I'd copped a flat, let alone torn it off LOL. Stupid me had left the lock nut key at home though :banghead:

Glad it worked out the way it did, Trav - the alternatives aren't even worth contemplating!

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Particularly after reading your post above, Trav, I'm just glad you discovered it without anyone getting hurt. It's great to have a nice car, but family comes a lot higher up the importance scale.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Mine came with dunlop direzza's and they where great until I realised after about 4000k's that the insides where so bald that I had some steel belt hanging out.

I just went in to get my wheels balanced because I ran a gutter :( Came out with a full new set of shoes as well :|

G

Unregistered
Far out, never seen anything like that before, you know how old the tyres are? They don't have any date codes stamped anywhere? Lucky no-one was hurt.

Mine weren't changed, they aren't available in Australia

Yea, hear what your saying, mine came with Bridgestone B500-Si tyres...

Mine came with the same tyres and I was given new ones to drive away on. Really weird that they put the japanese tyres on, sounds a bit dodgy.

I hope this is a bit of a wake up call for other members on here too.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Yes Stephen absolutely scarey, hence why I ordered my new ones today

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
They're 5 years old. It wasn't the compliance centre that put the tyres on there ;)

G

Unregistered
Just throwing this out there. What if it was caused by the elements (hot and cold)? Sure the car might have only done 40,000km and the tyres look almost brand new, but the elements must have some affect on the rubber over 5 years or so.

I know my girl friends lancer blew 2 tyres (not at the same time) and it was put down to the elements, it had only done 50,000km at the time and the tyres looked practically new (and it was a 1.8L auto so it wasn't seeing any track work :p).

What if they rotated the tyres on the car before they sold it, would explain why it was the inside that blew.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
GIII tyres are sold new in NZ and are a normal summer tyre, when I first saw the thread I thought you had been running on snow tyres.

What size are they and what is the load rating? Had you seen the inside of them in the past? What pressure were you running?

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
They're 225/40/18. 91 load rating, pressures were 31-32psi all round. I've been under the car a few times before and nothing really stood out but I've not really had a serious look at the tyres before this.

Top Bottom