A warning for those driving on the tyres that came with the car

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
imho 91 is a bit low, as is 32psi or so. Stock load rating admittedly is 89, but most current 235/45/17 tyres for example are 94. I also prefer to run at 38/36 psi.

Perhaps age combined with small sidewalls, lowish load rating and lowish psi all caught up with the tyres?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I would call 32psi lowish. It's really only in the last 5 years that that higher pressures have been recommended be run on street tyres.

Very lucky Trav.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Agreed with the low psi, would have introduced more flex to the side wall.

Isn't there some recommendation not to use tires after a certain age? 5 years is awfully old for rubber that's stressed as much as a tire is.

Good job for taking the time to take pics and show everyone, Trav - you may have saved a life or two, you know ;)

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Easy to find out how old a tyre really is!

There is as DOT number on every tyre (in an oval), for example DOT 0802 means, this tyre was manufactured in the 8 calender week of 2002.

Worst case if you have just 3 numbers after the DOT, that means your tyres were produced before 2001!

A couple of years ago there was an accident in Germany, caused by 4week old tyres... so far so good, the guy bought them 4 weeks ago, but the insurance found out were made in 1992! Nobody was seriously injured and he got a new car from his tyre dealer! So the moral of that story is, don't buy a bargain just because it's cheap, check this bloody date and it could save your life! In my opinion brakes & tyres are the most important things on a car...

Especially in Australia I won't drive a tyre for more then 4 years, the heat is definitely not good! But I reckon my set of tyres won't get older then 2 years!

Just one little addition, the German RAC called ADAC released their tyre tests for 2009 a week ago... these are the Top 5: (215/50/17")

Michelin Primacy
Conti Premium Contact
Nokian Z G2
Bridgestone Turanza
Firestone TZ300a

Tyres which failed the tests: Syron Race 1, Mabor Sport-Jet2 and Avon ZV5

G

Unregistered
Bridgeston Potenza GIII Review check out the review from the February 21st 2009

Bit strange, never heard of these tyres lasting that long, I had a set on my magna and I'm speculating that they would have lasted 25k, but I spose given the right conditions anything is possible. Still the tyres that Trav had came from Japan and they could of have an abused life over there, unfortunately it is difficult to tell.

They're 5 years old. It wasn't the compliance centre that put the tyres on there ;)
Isn't there some recommendation not to use tires after a certain age? 5 years is awfully old for rubber that's stressed as much as a tire is.

Good job for taking the time to take pics and show everyone, Trav - you may have saved a life or two, you know ;)

Yeah I know the compliance place didn't put them on and I can see where the appeal is, when you have a set of compliance tyres or Potenza GIII's at your disposal, the Bridgestones seem like the smarter/safer choice.

I heard somewhere that it is recommended not to use tyres more than 4 or 5 years old, common sense really. Fortunately for most of us we go through tyres often enough not too worry.

But Tom brings up a good point, it is smart to check the date code when getting new tyres as they could be doing a dodgy on you.

As Trevor said, thanks for taking the time to post this up/

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I've got BF Goodrich G-Sport tyres on my Legnum & I've done over 50,000kms on them & they're still holding up well. Got them just over a year ago..

Top Bottom