Advise needed. battery problem?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
Hi guys. i try to think this one out but i can not figure it out. Need help please :love:

Well, let me explain in point forms

1. car starts ok and all.
2. it seems that battery is not HOLDING it's charge
3. When on idle for a long time, like stationary or on heavy traffic, my battery dies out. I have to reve it up on N to charge it up
4. while i am driving, it is fine
5. replaced battery about 4 months ago with "solice"? battery
6. If i drive it for a long time, it charges up a bit then on idle, it dies in about three min
7. typical sigh is that the idle becomes rough as if one of the spark plug is gone, then stereo dies and all the warning light comes on.. then it dies...
8 i have 2 amps running. but regardless it is on high volume or low

suspecting faults

1. Alternator not strong enough? Not sure because it charges well when the car in reving high
2. Dural stage boost controller switch earthing? Thas one of the thing i installed my self long time ago (in the rainy night at 1 am) and when i turn it off, the dash light dims for about 2 milli seconds
3. Bad battery cell? It sort of happened after replacing the battery. But not as oftern

today was pretty bad, Went to National Park for a drive with mates and when it was stationary, it sort of died.

any ideas?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
disconnect your amps for about 2 days and see if that helps.. had same thing except mine's manual..

if it does.. then connect only 1 of the amp first then see if your power gets drained.. if not then try the other one and most likely it'll be the culprit..

if you're driving normally.. and everything works fine.. then your alternator's doing it's job.. and to me the battery's holding the charge but something is eating it... very fast too..

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
disconnect your amps for about 2 days and see if that helps.. had same thing except mine's manual..

thanks fo the advice. I read your thread just now and will disconnect the amps and see how i gi.. now, where did i put my i-pod's eye phone..:cry:

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I've seen a shoddy alarm install present the same problems. Not sure if its any help though.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I had similar problems before my alternator died, with the stereo turning itself off on idle etc. had no amps installed, so could answer why yours dies quickly, check you voltage on your battery on idle should be in the 14v range...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
um .. anyone else see the MASSIVE image in Bryan's sig? looks like an imageshack hijack lol

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
I had similar problems before my alternator died, with the stereo turning itself off on idle etc. had no amps installed, so could answer why yours dies quickly, check you voltage on your battery on idle should be in the 14v range...
thanks mate. will check and see wat sort of volatge it is giving. ah... headache headache

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
It can be the alternator regulator. Did you check the charge rate with a multimeter?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
It can be the alternator regulator. Did you check the charge rate with a multimeter?

disconnected the amp wireing from battery to check if any shortages (JUST in case) and well, same issue.

What sort of readings is the "normal" readings and what reading is depicting alternator regulator problem?

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
With the car off your battery should read about 12v then with the car started it should go upto 13.9 - 14.x volts if it is low 13's or even stays in 12's then alternator stuffed, or maybe regulator is stuffed, i don't know the difference between alternator problem and regulator tho..

or battery could be stuffed

Edit: just read you have fairly new battery, if alternator is stuffed it could wreck your new battery i know some don't like getting fully discharged..

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
thanks guys
the problem was at the worst today with me almost stuck at the westfields shopping centre. I had to put my gear to neutral to keep the battery charged, otherwise, car was about to die.

funny thoug, it is fine when i drive it.

If the alternator is stuffed, then the battery would not charge at all. But if the battery is ststuffed, then the car should run fine on idle.

I just do not wanna spend $150 on a battery and then have the same problem.. hmm

G

Unregistered
buy a multi-meter then. you can get them cheap as,
at least that way you know if its a charging issue or a battery issue.

G

Unregistered
Or take it into any auto elec and get him to test it, they will tell you in two min

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
My leggie was parked at the carpark and i had to call road side assistance. Bum

the alternator is giving like close to 0 volts on idle, but gives 14+ volts if i rev it more than 1500 rpm. Alternator belt was tight.

so if the alternator is giving some power at high revs, this could be voltage regulator issue right? 9correct me if i am wrong please)

how much would it cost to source one if i need it and from where is the problem now.

ah....

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
bump. same question, same symptoms. not tested with multimeter yet.
radio, then acu ico on dash, then dead.
i had this before, but my alternator was changed to a new one 3 months ago.
now again :/

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Sounds like you have an alternator problem.

Could be the regulator/ brush's.

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
The alter is new. Problem occured on red light. Light on, wipers on, indicator on (with side light), radio on, a/c on and cooler fans on max (low fluid, high temp).
I hope this is one time this time.
The story in my previous post is before alter change.
Also, i can feel exhaust gas (i think thats it) in the cabin.
Also stalling problem when stoping fast. Must prevent useing gas pedal.
Also, can ayc pump drain battery when car is turned off? (i here noise from the boot sometimes)
now the plug near the battery is removed, problem seem to vanish.
Also, sometimes diesel-like clacking engine :(
oil is changed 300km ago. Clacking stops in time.

I beg for help :(

Top Bottom