Air Filter Replacement

G

Unregistered
I've just discovered that my "mushroom" :banghead: filter's foam is old and crumbling away. For fear of it getting sucked into the engine, I've removed it and I'm not driving my VR-4.

I don't have the original setup, but I've heard stock piping + K&N filter works best. I'm considering restoring it, but does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives or where I can replace it?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
You can continue to use the standard pod filter but you need to smooth out the air flow by placing a bit of straight pipe between the filter and the air flow sensor.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Marls - as your current filter is crumbling foam into the intake, I would buy a $30 pod from autobarn or somewhere so you could drive the car in the mean time. Then once you're back on the road, hunt down a stock air box & snorkel and get the K&N Panel filter from RPW, as finding a stock air box will probably take some weeks/months unless you want to pay quite a few $$ to have one sent from Japan ASAP.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
was it a HKS mushroom filter? I had a mate who had one on his S13 same thing... only on the weekend discovered it

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
There is a K&N Pod filter you can buy with the correct MAF.... There is no point half doing it IMO, you wouldn't want to fill your motor with crap in the interim till you get a stock airbox or CAI!

Then you will just need to get around the hot air issue ;)

Dr Josh has one, you might just PM him for details

G

Unregistered
was it a HKS mushroom filter? I had a mate who had one on his S13 same thing... only on the weekend discovered it

Yeah. It was a HKS Filter...
I'm thinking about going back to stock box with K&N Filter. Anyone got their old system for sale?

G

Unregistered
Demis (I assume that's not a typo?) there's details in this thread about how to order a new one from Japan if you're interested :)

CHEERS! ;)

If I already have the duct, what parts am I after exactly? (I'll be getting the K&N Filter for it)

(and yeah it is De M is)

G

Unregistered
Hi Demis, I got the stock box on mine with a K&N panel filter and it works a treat.

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
could u put some flex pipe on the afm and run it down towards the front of the car with a pod filter on the end . so it would be forced air intake.??????

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Absolutely you can, in fact a few people on cvr4 have done exactly that. Just be careful about sucking in water when driving through big puddles or rain.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
RPW make a kit like that for the CE Lancer (i used to have one) which was basically alluminium pipes and silicon joins... maybe eventually they will do the same for the galant.

Top Bottom