Anyone had compliance done by Phil's workshop?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hi guys,

Is there anyone with a Series 2 that had compliance done by Phil's workshop? My bro got a call from Phil last week, who said something VERY strange - according to Phil, Series 2 VR4's have to have THREE CATs installed, and two of them are $280 each or some nonsense. I'm wondering if he's been doing the same for everyone else, or has just stared this recently?

Sounds like something similar to what Paul found on his car, although Phil didn't have approval to do VR4's at that stage so Paul's compliance was done over East.

The car arrives in a week, so I'll be taking a drive down there to have a chat with Phil then...

VR-4-PLAY

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dave
Drive
'02 Legnum Type V
pretty sure they are pre-cats, check it out on google. I had my '02 complied at Phils and during the compliance work he discovered that the emissions requirements for '01+ (or '00+ i dont remember) cars were more stringent and required the extra cats. So he had to install them in mine, but as he had already quoted the work he didnt charge me for them. If they werent required I doubt he would have supplied for and installed them for free?

But yeh I found Phil very helpful, so just go down and visit him and check it out.

G

Unregistered
Mine is a Series II (98) and definitely only had the ONE cat converter. Mine was complied back in April

G

Unregistered
I had a pre-cat on the end of the down pipe, then the O2 sensor, then two normal cats. I ripped off the pre-cat and the second cat ;)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
From what I've heard on this so far I have no doubt Phil believes what he's doing is necessary, but if it is why isn't every RAW in the country doing it??

Dave if its something he won't budge on, any chance we could borrow your exhaust?

G

Unregistered
they changed the emissions laws around 00/01 i believe..
so regardless of if 2 cars are identical, the earlier one only has the pass the old test, anything after the date has to comply with the new tests.

there is a big thing about it with the stagea's.. the M35's started before the change over date, and continued after it.
there has been a few come in, but they still cant manage to get one to pass the new emissions tests, so you can only buy earlier model M35's if you want to comply it...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sounds like it is legit then. Ahh well, I guess you can just let them do it, then remove them afterwards and try and resell the exhaust system to the first person who needs one for a late model car.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
How many other members are there with late-model series 2's with three cats, though? Paul and Dave are the only two I'm aware of so far...

I guess you can just let them do it, then remove them afterwards and try and resell the exhaust system to the first person who needs one for a late model car.
Or borrow someone else's... Dave I'm happy to put my exhaust on your car if you're keen to loan it. Same goes for anyone else with a late model series 2 running three cats :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I spoke to another RAW today. Apparently their evidence package requires post '99 VR4's to have three CATs fitted too. But I'm not aware of most series 2's having more than 1 CAT??

G

Unregistered
i had my 10/99 done by phil on august this year.

he said whilst he was in the process of getting mine complied, he found out about the differing regulations, he only replaced the 1 cat on mine, but im pretty sure i remember him saying that from then on he was going to have to change all 3, he said i was lucky haha
: )

Top Bottom