Anyone installed after market ecu

vr4skn

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Blake Parker
Drive
1999 galant vr4 twin turbo
has anyone on here have an after market ecu in their galant(6a/ec5w) if so what brand of ecu

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
ViPec or Haltech will probably be the responses you receive based on a quick search

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Its a bit pointless when you can achieve so much with the factory ECU
Not necessarily. The standard ECU is very good, however, where it falls down is going to larger turbo's and the consequent fitment of larger injectors.
You really need super accurate latency figures for it to be top notch. Just ask the couple of members on here that have gone that route without the correct figures. Sure you can get it close-ish, but there is a bloody big difference between close and spot-on. Cold start for one and light throttle response which is the majority of your driving. Plus you are paying for dyno time to find the numbers which can take some time and money. But if thats your choice cool.

People that go the aftermarket ECU would not have standard turbo's or are super keen on the flex fuel option which at this stage our OEM ECU hasn't proven satisfactory yet, OR just want to maximise what they've got.

Anyway just a few things to consider

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Haltech is probably the best value for money and one of the best ECU's at the moment. If your car is a manual the also supply a PnP patch harness that makes it simple to install.

Honestly now that our standard ecu's are flashable I wouldn"t even bother getting an aftermarket ecu. I got mine from the US from peps I know but Haltech has banned all US sellers from selling to Australian customer and a Haltech and loom here would prob set you back about $1800- 2200.

I have recently removed and sold the Haltech from my car and im gona flash the standard ecu once my new motor is ready. Not saying an aftermarket ECU is no good they are just not necessary.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Scott, the Vipec's are fully optioned Links.

Rob, there are reasons for going aftermarket, like having 6 coil outputs rather than 3 for example.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
There's also a lot of work needed to be done to get all the features possible implemented. For example, flex fuel is possible on the stock ecu, but it's not implemented in code yet. So someone would have to do it.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Scott, the Vipec's are fully optioned Links.

Rob, there are reasons for going aftermarket, like having 6 coil outputs rather than 3 for example.
I am running ls3 truck coils on my car with the standard ecu. 6
Coils not 3.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Sounds like still wasted spark Joey, you can only run 3 coil outputs on the std ecu.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I am running ls3 truck coils on my car with the standard ecu. 6
Coils not 3.
There's only 3 ignition outputs on the stock ecu. If you have 6 coils, you'll be firing two of them at once unless you have some extra hardware to combine the cam signal and the three ignition signals into 6 ignition signals.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yes Haltech would be my choice. I am considering it for my Silver Leggy. I have a Haltech for my track car ready to go in. PS2000

Yes the LScoil is a pretty good option. I certain commodore coil in my RB engine through a CDI- flawless

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Stock ecu fine for most applications but I'd run haltech if I wanted stand alone. My Rex has a ps1000 going in it as well. Link/correct also fine, as is motec or autronic.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
The main reason a few of us are using Links over here, is they're made here, and we know some of the people that work at Link. There's also NZEFI here who specialize in tuning Links (although they'll happily do anything else).

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Another good reason to go with Haltech is all the PnP accessories they have available like E85 fuel analyzer and wideband 02 module. An aftermarket ECU is good to have if you have a motor that requires it but spending $2000 so you have 6 ignition outputs........................well thats up to you.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I wouldn't suggest you get an aftermarket ecu just so you can have 6 ignition outputs. It's more that once you start getting to the point of NEEDing 6 coils, you'll probably be so far along that the stock ecu won't have enough of the features you'd need any more.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yes Haltech would be my choice. I am considering it for my Silver Leggy. I have a Haltech for my track car ready to go in. PS2000

Yes the LScoil is a pretty good option. I certain commodore coil in my RB engine through a CDI- flawless

Yeah i agree with Simon ^^ about Haltech being my choice too.

If all go's well with my car, i'll most likely be installing a haltech ECU, because again if it all go's well (and i dont think how much money i spent so far and need to spend) i'll be running a single turbo, custom intake manifold and most piping and other stuff and will need a aftermarket ECU.

vr4skn (Blake) what are your plans on your car ? Im sure alot of us here will let you know if its worth going aftermarket or not once we know what you wanna do with you car ?

Top Bottom