Anyone know of this Legnum?

iralosavic

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Irah
Drive
Camry
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...252 1282 4294957255 4294964597 1622&silo=1011

Now that I'm on the hunt for a manual Legnum, I've expanded my search to neighbouring states and stumbled across this one (as above).

Anyone know of this Legnum or its owner?

Anyone nearby willing to have a look at it?

It's a 10 hour drive away from me, which I would be willing to do to bring the car back if it checked out ok, but having someone local to the car to act as an agent for the purpose of inspection would help considerably! Most of you Legnum owners will have a better idea about it than me anyway.

Thanks in advance (y)

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Been for sale for a fair while. He's not on here though. Terryhills is a bout 20mins from me if you'd like it checked out

iralosavic

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Irah
Drive
Camry
David, thanks for the info. I wonder why it's been for sale so long as it's not badly priced for what it is.

If you're happy to check it out, I'd be much obliged! You're more than welcome to explain that you're doing so on my behalf and if you'd prefer, I can call him beforehand?

Cheers

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
whatever you think

iralosavic

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Irah
Drive
Camry
Ok cool. Well, just have a look and if he asks questions, feel free to explain. Thanks for this, mate!

iralosavic

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Irah
Drive
Camry
Hey David, can you please take note of the engine number and VIN/Chassis numbers when you see it so that I can apply for a REVS certificate if everything else checks out.

Cheers

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
Noted. I don't own/haven't driven the manuals so i don't know what they should feel like but i'll do my best. I'll give him a ring and try to set up to see it on the weekend. Any ideas on how to check the clutch ware level (if that's what it's called). Should be faster/as fast as mine so will be fun to see/drive the manual version as i want to convert mine. Anything special you want checked?

iralosavic

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Irah
Drive
Camry
I can't personally give any suggestions relating specifically to the Legnum, but clutch wear should generally present the same across most manuals... if it isn't worn, power should snap on instantaneously upon releasing it... the chassis should jolt somewhat. If it's worn, the revs might lower before rising, there might be a groan, slipping (ie feeling like it's in neutral) etc. The guy claims to have replaced the clutch 7000km ago, so you'd have to assume it will bite nicely.

As for other things... typical signs that something is amiss, I suppose. Oil around gaskets/seals, split hoses/pipes etc and the known Legnum issues I guess... and check that the interior wear and tear matches the kms. The steering wheel and seats should appear almost as new at 60,000km, I think.

Even as new as I am to Legnums, I have picked up on issues in two I have test driven just by comparing them to one another and listening out for unusual noises. Clunking over bumps or at full lock, turbine spooling sounding off, power seeming lacking. I'm guessing an auto will be more efficient at shifting in Drive when you plant it, but the manual shouldn't be too far behind. I drove one manual that had a full second (felt like ages) delay before full power returned after shifting from redline. I'm assured that is definitely a mechanical fault.

This one claims to produce 185kw at all four, so you should expect a car that feels like it'd pull a 13s quarter, which will be notably faster than stock.

Having recently compared auto vs manual Legnums, I have a strong feeling that this test drive will only strengthen your desire to convert your auto to a manual! Thanks again for volunteering to check it out :)

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
Based on other cars with same mods mine should put out around the same power so that's an easy check. I'll let you know how i go

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
load the clutch up to test it david..ie high gear low rpm..say put it in 5th at 60kmph and put your foot flat to the floor.
this will place a large load on the clutch and if the car slowly gets up and accelerates its good...if it slips and your revs jump up but the speedo doesnt...its worn
also the height at which the clutch takes up will give you some indication, generally the higher the take up point the more worn the clutch is

iralosavic

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Irah
Drive
Camry
For synchro wear, check for any difficulty or noises when getting into gears. Grinding noises usually. If you rev-match a down shift, you shouldn't have any of the issues associated with synchro wear, so that's a good way to pin point it if you encounter issues when shifting up.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
Off to check it Saturday 9.30

iralosavic

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Irah
Drive
Camry
Nice. I look forward to your report. Oh and if you have a user friendly phone and don't mind doing so - see if you can take a few pics of anything note worthy. The guy has no photos on carsales of the interior and the ones of the exterior aren't too clear.

Thanks, mate.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
I'll take my wife's Nokia N97 and i'll put the pics up here

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
I decided to go to PM about this car. So if anyone else wants to know about it PM me

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
You check for rust underneath? Think this car came up in another thread, someone was interested in it but found rust. not 100% sure as it was a while back, but best to check.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
Yeah looked under car some small surface rust, bigger bits in the front strut towers 50c piece size 1 one each tower

Top Bottom