naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
pm sent re: membership

about the car..it doesnt seem to be costmetically well looked after

I'd like to see what color the ATF fluid looks like and like to know what smell it is..

engine wise, when you open the oil filler cap.. what color is it in there? can you see the metal parts or are they covered in gunk/sludge?

above are the initial thing's i'd check.. if those 2 are good, at least you know the car's been mechanically looked after.

The_Giefster

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Evo 5 + Motorbike
Thanks guys. I'm looking at this one as it looks like a good project car to do up for a nice daily cruiser.

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
Wow those are some far fetched numbers he's throwing out. The outside is pretty rough but if its mechanically okay then why not. Although 5.5k can probably get you a better one. Instead of spending money to get it up to spec you can spend money and buy a better example.

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
I'd pick that up for $5.5K if you go into it knowing it needs work.

If he can supply receipts for the major service, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. If the major hasn't been done, then that would be a big deal breaker.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Definitely a few warning signs on the listing. I'm curious as to what "$5000 was also spent to upgrade its chip to accommodate larger turbos." actually means in his head. There are a few things wrong with that statement immediately.

Christian is pretty spot on. Check fluid quality, especially trans. If there's even a hint of neglect or abuse, It's a risky buy due to the costs involved in repairing the auto trans. I'd also have a peek at the wiring for the sound system and aftermarket accessories. I find it's a pretty good indicator of how much respect the previous owners had for the car.

I'm 50/50. If your mate is pretty mechanically hands-on and doesn't mind spending the hours getting it up to par, then It's not a bad buy.
Keep in mind though, you can pick-up well maintained, lightly modded examples with not much more mileage for 8-9K. I personally wouldn't purchase one now days from anyone that wasn't part of the VR4/Evo community as it's such a crap shoot in terms of history.

The_Giefster

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Evo 5 + Motorbike
Thanks guys. I'm looking at the car soon and will take all this into consideration. I know the ad is bogus, but as long as the car is maintained it should be good. It has everything I want being a facelift Legnum, auto, leather and a moon roof. Hopefully I can get the car for a lot cheaper than the asking price! It will be a great base for a daily project!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Yeah mine is still for sale, getting lots of bites lately but no one serious. thinking about getting clutch done and putting price up but not sure who I would take it to get the job done, considering driving it down to Sydney to get Steve to work on it but its a big drive and a lot of effort. Rarely drive it now, want to keep it every time I do.

Not a Legnum and not auto, so not really what Ryan is looking for I gather.

Top Bottom