Blackbandt

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Alex
Drive
Legnum VR4 Typ S
HI

I would like to build me an engine and am just looking for parts. Now I want to use ARP main studs and head studs. Only which are the right ones ?

I have already searched a little but am not 100% sure.

For the ARP main studs I have found the following: ARP 207-5401 and for the head studs I found these: ARP 207-4203. Are they the right ones ?

Thank you

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
207-5401 is correct for the mains but as its an evo kit you require 2 sets and a 4G63T only uses 10 studs and a 6A13TT uses 16 so you will have 4 spares.

207-4203 is the 11mm evo head stud. This requires drilling and tapping of the block, drilling of the heads and the ID of the locating dowels to be enlarged. Not a particularly straigh forward process but covered in my guide here.

Be aware that unless you are proficient with taps and machining its possible to fuck this up so if your not confident in doing it i suggest getting a local engine shop to do this for you when your getting the block bored/honed/surfaced etc.

alternatively you can use the 203-4204 kit which is the factory 10x1.25 thread. But again you require 2 kits as its a set of 10 studs and for the V6 you require 16 studs.

The 11mm option gives you significantly more clamping force and the 11mm studs are cheaper to purchase than the 10mm ones but you obviously need to modify your block and heads for it to work.

Blackbandt

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Alex
Drive
Legnum VR4 Typ S
Thank you for the answer. Then I had everything right searched out. Yes the engine goes to an engine builder who does the work for me. Must also be drilled with the set 207-5401 or does that fit?

That I need 2 sets each I have also read out.

And do the Arp screws fit through the head gasket or does that also need to be adjusted?

Ps: still have a question about the piston. Is it enough if I go to the first oversize?

Last edited:

Blackbandt

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Alex
Drive
Legnum VR4 Typ S
Sorry I have one more question

is it enough if I go to the first oversize ? I am ordering pistons and have the following selection

81,5mm and oversizes 20
82mm and oversizes 30

I would take the 81,5mm. Is that enough or is there a risk that through wear I am already at the 81.5mm ?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
If your cylinders har half a milimeter of wear the engine would sound like a concrete mixer.
0.5mm is plenty to take out and clean up

Blackbandt

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Alex
Drive
Legnum VR4 Typ S
Thank you for the answer. Well if you say 81.5mm Reichen then I order these in the measure. I was not sure about it therefore the question.

Can you answer me the question about the head gasket Please. The Oem fits then right? Or must also be machined?

Blackbandt

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Alex
Drive
Legnum VR4 Typ S
Ok thanks then I order the forged piston in 81.5mm I trust there on your experience.

Blackbandt

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Alex
Drive
Legnum VR4 Typ S
They are not available on their site because it is made to order. Write him an email then you know. Are great people

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
The link on flatlander is to IPP
IPP had a custom piston sheet to order through wiseco. Unfortunately Wiseco dont keep peoples custom orders on file as far as im aware, and IPP now no longer exists. So unless you can get in touch with the people from IPP that is no longer an option.

However Diamond/Wiseco/JE/CP all offer custom pistons. Just contact them direct. Fill out the reqired form.
I'd give diamond pistons a try in the industry ive heard lots of good things about them being good to deal with for custom stuff.
CP are exceedingly painful to deal with for anything custom so that would be my last choice. The newer Wisecos are a nice piston too.

Blackbandt

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Alex
Drive
Legnum VR4 Typ S
I have wiseco pistons made through ipp. I come from Germany and the company even knows German. The contact went with me via WhatsApp. I think nights week I will eventually get my pistons and connecting rods.

jannoke

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Janno
Drive
1995 3000GT NA US
1999 3000GT VR4 EU
What kind of HP are you running for all the arp and forged stuff?

Top Bottom