Auto gearbox seal gone?

Zerofallen

Crunching Gears
First Name
Michael
Drive
'89 Silvia / '09 GTI Golf
This has to be the worst thing ever... Nothing seems to go right for me. :(

Picked up the Legnum today, got it registered, drove it home... Later in the evening thought to go for a drive. Went and visited my parents and as I was pulling out noticed there was a small puddle of oil on the ground...

Took the car home, jacked it up, pulled the stone guard off and noticed oil on the cross member under the gearbox, on the brace I have underneath, on the edges of the tailshaft recess on the undercarriage, and spatterings on the tailshaft. On closer inspection it appeared to come from between the gearbox and the engine, and it is gearbox oil as it caused a nasty reaction on my arm. Heh

Anyway, I'm guessing gearbox seal has gone. Any ideas? And how long it should take to rectify?

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Bah, sorry to hear about it fella. If you do a search, a few guys have had theirs done before, so there should be some rough estimates around on what it will cost.

Zerofallen

Crunching Gears
First Name
Michael
Drive
Yeah I know, Kristian... Absolutely shattered.

Trouble is, not really too keen on driving it far, but apparently a mate of mine knows a decent workshop that did a manual one not long ago so might give them a shot.

I'd do it myself but I bought the Legnum so I had a car I wouldn't have to do this shit on. :ROFLMAO:

The S13 is in the garage anyway and what space it isn't taking up is taken up with all its interior I stripped out.

Bah!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Torque converter seal - seal itself is about $13, but your looking at around 8-10 hours labour to remove and replace gearbox, depending on the workshop. Budget around $1k - it sucks :(

Zerofallen

Crunching Gears
First Name
Michael
Drive
Have a mate who knows a workshop that have dealt with Legnums before. Just recently having worked on a manual one. He was watching them take the box out and apparently they were quick as.

They seem to know what they're doing. Said they should be able to have a look at it on Tuesday and should only take a day to do the seal. Rough quote was $450 just for the seal but while the box is out they're going to go over that too and make sure everything is fine.

Not bad... So hopefully done by the end of the week. I'm sick of this constant waiting. Heh.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
you too. Ever since I had my gearbox serviced it has leaked. It seems to just dump a small puddle every time I turn the engine off. I serviced it myself after 'the professionals' had a go but its still leaking just not as much. bloody car is a money box that doesn't refund.

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
I replaced my Torque Convertor Seal as well as the Rear Main seal a couple of weekends ago at my dad's workshop where he works. Started Sat nite and then on Sunday Morn. Finished early Sun evening as we were pacing ourselves. It was good to get the hands dirty again after owning an E39A Galant VR4 and doing stuff like that. It was handy having a hoist and air tools.

Good Luck.

Scott

Zerofallen

Crunching Gears
First Name
Michael
Drive
Well I pick up the Legnum tonight... Dropped it on Tuesday, they started work on Wednesday and was completely finished this morning.

Apparently torque converter bush and front pump seal needed replacing. They did a flush, replaced fluids and changed filter too.

Rough quote of $500 or so... So not bad.

This is DJ's in Hallam, Vic, just off Hallam Rd. Near the 7-11. :)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
That's an awesome price Michael! They must know what they are doing.

My $500 quote for my clutch turned into $1100 :)

Top Bottom