AYC Pump pre&post facelift

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Can I fit post lift AYC Pump ('01) into pre lift car ('99)?

I know, that AYC switch is different, but I have pre lift switch OK.

Are there any other differences?

G

Unregistered
apparently its not a pre/post thing, its a 2002 thing with the switch

and 99 is a facelift, late 98+ are facelifts

so should be ok

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Facelift of AYC system (not whole VR-4) was in 09.00.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You are right, the switch change was in 2000 (although actually May 2000 when they changed the interior trim)

The part number for the PUMP changes in May 2000, although I don't know if you can use a late model pump and a late model switch in an earlier car.

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
I will know today :) - I've got post lift pump....

Fact - lift of european Galant EA5x was in 09.00 -

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
please explain the switch change bradbrad, im intruiged

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Before 05.00 switch was NC (Normally Closed) witch means when pressure in AYC is below 9 bar - switch is closed

After may '00 switch was NO (Normally Open) witch means when pressure in AYC is below 9 bar - switch is open

Visualy switches are same (pumps too ;) )

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
ok, thanks Bartek, how about removal of ayc? im keen on that once mine blows

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
6 bolts, 4 hoses, 2 conectors and ground point - quantum phisics is harder :D

when you fitting "new" pump, remember to put fluid into biger hose whitch goes to fluid tank - bleeding of AYC system is a piece of cake but bleeding air form pump is horrible....

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Before 05.00 switch was NC (Normally Closed) witch means when pressure in AYC is below 9 bar - switch is closed

After may '00 switch was NO (Normally Open) witch means when pressure in AYC is below 9 bar - switch is open

Visualy switches are same (pumps too ;) )
I'm almost certain the pump will be identical - having NC / NO switches like that suggests a relay is involved somewhere, maybe even a circuit in the AYC Control Unit (I hate calling it an ECU, even if Mitsi do). A simple way to test would be swapping the pressure switch and AYC Control Unit from a late model (ie NO switch) onto an earlier model (NC switch) car - if it doesn't work, the pump will either stay on constantly or not come on at all, which means Brad's right and the switches are matched to the pumps, not the Control Unit.

EDIT: Actually, I think Brad's probably right as the model number for the pump was MR222152 until the first of May, 2000, when it changed to MR553977. Although interestingly the label on my pump says MR222646, which ASA doesn't even recognise... I found a reference saying that was the pump out of the Evo IV, but ASA lists the CN9A pump as MR276094 :(

AYC_Label.jpg

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Well my "brand new AYC pump from Legnum '02" has part number MR222152..... and works perfect without any changes.

In Poland we have joke about politics:
- How you can recognise that politic lies?
- ?
- He opens his mouth......

Used parts dealers are similar to politics ;)

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
It's hard to say - My friend, who imported my Legnum from Japan, promised me, that AYC will work, and for me this pump was for free....

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
So, the dealer who I bought my car from has just replaced the AYC pump on my car. My car is a 2000 FL and he replaced it with a pre FL pump, my concern was it might not work but aparently it does. So my question is

does it matter what sort of pressure switch you have or did my car have the pre FL pump in it to begin with?

Thanks in advance guys.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The only thing that matters is if you have a pre or post May 2000 car. Does your chassis number start with a 3 or a 4?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
It starts with a 4 how can you tell if it's not working properly? Apparently they checked all the part no. between the two pumps and they were both the same.

Top Bottom