Bad vibration going uphill at 80km/h

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Guys,

today on the way home I was driving up hill at about 60-80km/h when I felt really bad vibration right through the car. It continued utill I slowed down and came to a stop on a flat section before a round about. I noticed it again on another uphill section about 5 minutes later.

Could this be something coming loose in the transmission/drivetrain?

I've had the wheels balanced about 4 weeks ago and an alignment done when I got the car back in November.

cheers

Lee

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Hi Lee, check you engine mounts,cv joints/boots for cracks also could you have droped a weight off one of the wheels. Mel

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Was the car wanting to turn left or right at all?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Was the car wanting to turn left or right at all?

No it was just a vibration through the whole car.

ClubVR4 searching tells me to check engine and drive shaft mounts so I'll go for a look soon (not that I really know what to look for... :) )

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Engine mounts are usually a solid metal circular frame bolted to your engine bay with a hard rubber centre, and the engine side of the mount running through middle. If the rubber's cracked, worn or deteriorated at all you need to get it replaced, and I mean even if it only looks slightly worn, cause once one starts to go the additional movement and vibration in the engine will destroy it and the other ones damn fast.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
The mounts that I can see (drivers side, part of the rear one) look fine, no play at all in the drive shaft.

Will see if it keeps a happening and take it to get looked at if it does.

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Engine mounts are usually a solid metal circular frame bolted to your engine bay with a hard rubber centre, and the engine side of the mount running through middle. If the rubber's cracked, worn or deteriorated at all you need to get it replaced, and I mean even if it only looks slightly worn, cause once one starts to go the additional movement and vibration in the engine will destroy it and the other ones damn fast.

with mitsubishi, its not as solid compared to other makes.. i think they used less rubber materials to save money.. with my car, I can feel the engine jumping at times.. I suggest replacing them with polyurethane rubber mount inserts (I know you guys will say it's too hard and etc.)

are the companies out there that can fab. a new mount inserts for us? :)

The mounts that I can see (drivers side, part of the rear one) look fine, no play at all in the drive shaft.

Will see if it keeps a happening and take it to get looked at if it does.

cheers

Lee

Lee what gear were you driving on? try driving 40-50km/h while at 5th gear and feel if its vibrating as well.. if it does, it might actually be your mounts..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Lee what gear were you driving on? try driving 40-50km/h while at 5th gear and feel if its vibrating as well.. if it does, it might actually be your mounts..

I would've been in 3rd/4th I don't think it made a difference when I changed gear, I can't remember.

Next time I see you I'll get you to cast you expert eye over the mounts to see what you think :)

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
yeah that's cool.. i'll be flat out with visitors from overseas for the next month or so.. I might have a trip down to Sydney this coming month.. then melbourne the month after..

say.. how's Monday morning?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
No worries - it's not urgent, I just went for a drive now and it didn't do it so whenever we get together next will be fine.

cheers

Lee

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Lee I had the same issue only mine would around town anywhere from 50km - 80km. It feels like an old manual car (Carbie) driven in 5th at about 40km/hr, just shudders and the only way to stop it was to increase or decrease speed. It also happened to me on a car I test drove. Doesn't happen anymore though.

G

Unregistered
Hey Lee my brother in law had exactly the same problem tried everything to fix it. It turned out to be a bent front drive shaft I think i'll have to ask him exactly. But his car is a magna about the same vintage as ours. He described a vibration that only happened uphill at about 80 km/h

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
from what i have read so far it seems to be cv related club vr4 members have the same problems normally an inner cv joint.

this is what i was talking about lee mine was doing the same thing

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi guys,

thanks for all the suggestions, I haven't noticed it again - next time I take it into a mechanic for something I'll ask them to check the CVs and drive shafts (they all look ok to my untrained eyes...).

cheers

Lee

Top Bottom