Boost leak test

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
Hey I want to make a diy boost/vacuum leak tester using a smoke machine. Just wondering where is the best place to plumb the smoke machine into?

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
best way ive seen to do it is to just use compressed air and listen for leaks. (whistle or a general leaking air sound)

If u wish to use smoke just plug up the throttle body side of the plumbing withe something that has a air line attachment and force the smoke in that way... dont use the BOV pipe cos thats a common leak area.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
We smoke test from right behind the maf at a relatively low pressure (can't put the rocker covers under too much pressure). Then we go from just after the y piece with heaps of pressure. Smoke is the best way to go.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
We smoke test from right behind the maf at a relatively low pressure (can't put the rocker covers under too much pressure). Then we go from just after the y piece with heaps of pressure. Smoke is the best way to go.

Thanks Steve. Would you happen to have any pics of how you've plumbed in?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Sorry i don't.... we have a few different sized rubber blocks that are cone shaped with the pointy end of the cone cut off, if i listened more in geometry rather than talking about cars, i'd probably know the name of that shape but i didn't. Then we have a hole through the centre of the cone and the hose from the smoke machine plugs into the back of the cone. The smaller end of the cone goes into the pipe and you do up the clamp onto the cone. Then press go

Top Bottom