Brakes: Who is running what and thoughts

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Hey all, if this has been discussed elsewhere then please link me to it and I will close the thread. Otherwise please list what you are running on your cars.
Personally I consider the standard brakes to be quite good for normal driving, but I know I need new pads so I have ordered in a set of EBC redstuff and am also considering putting a set of new rotors on the front, not sure on RDA or DBA at this stage. I have non brembo brakes and would like feedback on whats good and whats not so good. I have read of a few problems with DBA vented brakes cracking which ain't good but would like more than one person's view or what they have 'heard'.
Cheers

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
RDA gold slotted dimpled fronts with HPX pads awesome braking. I'm about to put RDA slotted on the rear

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Standard rotors, standard pads currently. Braking is poor.

Previously, standard rotors + Acre Super Fighters. F'n awesome....

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
FRONT - RDA Gold Passivated slotted & dimpled (RDA7625G) - EBC RedStuff Pads on Front (DP3954C)
REAR - - RDA Gold Passivated slotted & dimpled (RDA7624G) - EBC RedStuff Pads on Rear (DP3987C)

DSCF4970.jpg

RedStuff.jpg

Excellent Braking, stand up well to track days, no apparent fade doing 10 lap stints. Have done about 5k using this combo.

Previously used EBC GreenStuff Pads for about 22k before they wore out, which were OK for general driving, but when visiting the track I would change over to a set of RedStuffs that i had for track work, the last time I was out at Wakefield Park, I forgot to bring the RedStuff's, the GreenSuffs didn't like track work, suffered brake fade after 5 laps and they didn't recover from that day, overheated Greenstuff pads didn't have the same braking efficiency, didn't bite anywhere near the same after that day and quickly wore out after that. GreenStuff's are fantastic for general driving, just don't use them at the track and expect them to perform the same after that.

Brake Dust - Greenstuff's produce roughly half the dust that the original pads did, the RedStuff's are considerably better than the GreenStuff's. :)

EDIT: RDA Slotted Rotors have had a reputation with some members of warping, I have hammered my Gold Passivated @ 10 + track days & 30K road kilometres and had no issues at all with warping, none. (as mentioned by Derek below)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Strange... I had greenstuffs and they made about 10 times the dust of the stock pads, and also warped my RDA slotted rotors twice.

Now running Ivan's x3e street pads. Not quite the bite of greenstuffs but still better than stock, and low dust. Haven't done any trackwork.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I used to have standard calipers and rotors with Project Mu pads. Braking was fine, even with a spirited drive. I only got brembos because of the aesthetics but the pedal doesn't feel anywhere near as good. Obviously it pulls up a lot harder when you mash the pedal.

I am running acre pads and they are awesome. Will looking at upgrading rotors or bigger brakes soon.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Loki is fitted with standard calipers but rotors were replaced with DBA 4000 wiper-slotted rotors.

http://www.dba.com.au/node/5335

Pads were upgraded to Ivan's (x3emotorsport) street pads from Bendix Ultimates.

Definitely bite better after they warm up and fine for a spirited drive up the Black Spur with confidence but no trackwork on this setup.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
I am using dba slotted rotors and EBC redstuff pads. I've had them on for about 25k and had the rotors machined in that time.I think the pads are too good for the rotors as it doesn't take long for them to glaze or warp and there is still plenty of meat on the pads and braking performance is still good under heavy braking.

I've only heard the dba cross drilled rotors cracking, but I've many brands cross drilled rotors doing that

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
RDA slotted rotors and QFM HPX pads front and rear. Brakes alot better then factory and nothing bad to report after 10,000kms, I only drive on the road and dont push them very hard.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
but the pedal doesn't feel anywhere near as good. Obviously it pulls up a lot harder when you mash the pedal.

+1

I was a little disappointed with the pedal feel for the first time i drove on them.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
RDA Slotted w/ EBC RedStuff all round. I HAD ordered Golds like Kat, but RDA sent the wrong stuff to Travis (HiPSI) so I went with those instead. I quite like the setup, as I mountain driving practically daily and each trip to civilisation is a 60km round trip :)

G

Unregistered
Evo 8 Brembo's (front & rear)
RDA slotted rotors (front & rear)
Braided brake lines (front & rear)
Project MU B-Spec pads (front & rear)

slightly squealy, but really good! :D

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
Brembos (i think evo 7 or 8 but not too sure)
standard OEM rotors
braided lines
i used QFM HPX but got heaps of squuuueeeel, changed to Ivans x3e's and they were a little better, however i bought some coppertec (anti seeze lube) and they are quiet (maybe slight noise every now and agian)
Techsport also put in a Evo master cylander which is slightly larger.

I will be going to my first track day next week so i should have a bit more feedback then but pedal feel is fine better than before IMO.

I will be loooking to replace the rotors with ivans 2 peice rotors soon (hopefully soon)

oh i recomend people try the coppertec if they have any squel works much better than any of the other anti-squel stuff i tried.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Currently running std discs front and rear, with Ferodo GP2's on the front and unknown on the rear.

I think the front pads are cooked/glazed(from last trackday) as you need to use a lot of brake pedal to get something, and even then they are very underwhelming....

Will be going to Wilwood 6 pot Superlites(f) and evo 6 brembo(r) with std evo discs, Ferodo ds2500 front and prob GP2 rears, along with braided lines in the next while. :)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Ivans pads are awesome.

Just remember to do a brake fluid flush, all the disks and pads in the universe wont help you pull up if your fluid's full of water/old.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Brembos (i think evo 7 or 8 but not too sure)
standard OEM rotors
braided lines
i used QFM HPX but got heaps of squuuueeeel, changed to Ivans x3e's and they were a little better, however i bought some coppertec (anti seeze lube) and they are quiet (maybe slight noise every now and agian)
Techsport also put in a Evo master cylander which is slightly larger.

I will be going to my first track day next week so i should have a bit more feedback then but pedal feel is fine better than before IMO.

I will be loooking to replace the rotors with ivans 2 peice rotors soon (hopefully soon)

oh i recomend people try the coppertec if they have any squel works much better than any of the other anti-squel stuff i tried.

What Evo is the master cylinder from? Is it a straight bolt-in swap?

casuarina26

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Phil
Drive
2010 Skoda Octavia vRS 125TDI, 02 Hyundai Elantra
Galant was been Sold
I'm running Evo 7 Brembo's & evo 7 rotors all round, don't know what pads are in only had car for about 8 weeks. Awesome stopping

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I think the evo 5 & 6 is straight bolt in, the 7,8 & 9 require a fitting on the end of the master cylinder to be changed off the top of my head.

Remember not all evo's have the 1" master cylinder, and not even all the brembo equiped cars do as well...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
the usual brembo upgrade but with 2 piece dba 5000's on the front, just slotted dba streets on the rear, best fluid i can find on the day, paul's braided lines, hawk hps pads but about to be ferodo ds2500 pads all round. No real issues and they have had some very hard times but prevention is better than running out of brakes at the end of a straight!

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
What Evo is the master cylinder from? Is it a straight bolt-in swap?

Sorry Smitty, I can't remember exactly but i think there is a thread in which gly (i think thats his name) installed one and had some issues cos he installed in incorectly or something.

Top Bottom