Brakes: Who is running what and thoughts

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
why not just get the stock ones re-bored?! I'm gonna do that to my spare one.. hopefully that'll make it bigger..

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I had RDA Slotted's and QSL A1RM all 'round in my old car. Braking was fantastic. Will definately be doing a similar combo in this new car. Brake dust wasn't too bad either.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Sorry Smitty, I can't remember exactly but i think there is a thread in which gly (i think thats his name) installed one and had some issues cos he installed in incorectly or something.

I'll pester Jeff tomorrow about it:)

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
Dawso earlier in the thread you said u had super fighters. Do you know where I can get a set for pfl front and rear?

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
Will be going to Wilwood 6 pot Superlites(f) and evo 6 brembo(r) with std evo discs, Ferodo ds2500 front and prob GP2 rears, along with braided lines in the next while. :)

Man thats a nice combo there =)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Dawso earlier in the thread you said u had super fighters. Do you know where I can get a set for pfl front and rear?

Sorry man I don't. Came with the car from J-land I suspect!

PM Scottie, as I think he was looking at getting a set for his Brembo's, he may know a supplier :)

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
thanks heaps dawso will do. looked up their website but says no aus distributor yet. :(

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Now running EBC redstuff all around and RDA grooved and dimpled front rotors. Will update later on how well it all works as it is all still bedding in.

Greg GSL

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Greg
Drive
Cross6
Non Brembo or Brembo?

We've got non-Brembo Super Fighters on the shelf, $95 for the front, $79 for the rear.

Alternatively, we are slowly phasing the popular HPX out in favor of a better performance street pad. It's a European performance pad called Remsa, which is rated to 650 degrees (versus 550 for the HPX, or 450 for something like Acre Super Fighter), whilst still being low dust and rotor wear. Also the Remsa come with noise reducing features such as a relief groove and shamfers in the pad material, as well as a soft backing shim, all of which the HPX do not come with. We've been supplying Remsa to high performance street road cars like Porsche and Ferrari for many years, but the pricing has now become such that we're now able to expand it to most road cars.

Remsa to suit non-Brembo are $95 for the front, and $79 for the rear. Remsa to suit Brembo (which are VERY low noise, and what we supply to Porsche road cars with race type calipers that have noise issues) are $115 for the front, and $85 for the rear.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Non Brembo or Brembo?

We've got non-Brembo Super Fighters on the shelf, $95 for the front, $79 for the rear.

Alternatively, we are slowly phasing the popular HPX out in favor of a better performance street pad. It's a European performance pad called Remsa, which is rated to 650 degrees (versus 550 for the HPX, or 450 for something like Acre Super Fighter), whilst still being low dust and rotor wear. Also the Remsa come with noise reducing features such as a relief groove and shamfers in the pad material, as well as a soft backing shim, all of which the HPX do not come with. We've been supplying Remsa to high performance street road cars like Porsche and Ferrari for many years, but the pricing has now become such that we're now able to expand it to most road cars.

Remsa to suit non-Brembo are $95 for the front, and $79 for the rear. Remsa to suit Brembo (which are VERY low noise, and what we supply to Porsche road cars with race type calipers that have noise issues) are $115 for the front, and $85 for the rear.
Greg do you have a Remsa option to suit Wilwood Calipers?

Greg GSL

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Greg
Drive
Cross6
Probably not, they're primarily a street application brand. Sometimes there are weird ones, like they do some AP Racing calipers that come on MG's as standard...

Which Wilwood caliper, and what sort of application of pad are you after?

Greg GSL

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Greg
Drive
Cross6
Depends on what is it you're after. Performance wise they're still in different leagues, A1RM is a track capable pad, whereas Remsa is more of a very high performance pad that you *might* get away with on the track, albeit with lower performance than a track dedicated pad. Remsa does the job in most of the very high end Euro stuff we've normally sold it for as they've got massive brakes anyways, so the pads themselves don't work as hard as they do in say a car with smaller brakes for the same performance.

In terms of noise and ease of bed in, the Remsa are first class, there isn't a better pad out there in the market. I'll put it this way, in the 4 years we've been supplying Remsa pads we've never once had a noise/performance/quality complaint, and keep in mind the kind of people who drive Porsche/Ferrari/Audi etc. etc. will complain about the smallest thing.

The two aren't really comparable. We'll probably never phase out A1RM, because for the money they're a phenomenally good pad, and I've personally won a class title on them in one car, and taken an outright podium place place with them in the Impreza, so the performance for a $119-$179 pad is unreal. Where the Remsa is very strong is comparing it to something like HPX, which is in the same 'high performance street' market, and the Remsa has better performance, better quality and has all those noise reducing features I mentioned before. Up until recently Remsa used to be priced out of the ball park when it comes to a HPX replacement pad, but just recently this has changed, so for the same, or only a few more dollars, we'll now be recommending Remsa over HPX.

But as always guys, if you've got specific requirements let us know. Although we've got out preferred brands, the list of pads we do is quite long, and the only reason we bias towards certain brands is because we beleive they're the market leader in a particular application and at a price that fits the market. Just off the top of my head we do QFM, Remsa, EBC, RDA, Acre, TRW, Protex, Horsepower, Project Mu, PBR, Bendix and probably half a dozen more I can't think of right now, so if you've got a specific requirement let us know.

I know this will be controversial, but if your requirement is to pay way too much for a lackluster pad that works well in Europe where their rotors are softer and their ambient temperatures are lower, but which is highly overrated in this part of the world, then I'd recommend EBC! If there was a good reason to talk customers into a much more expensive pad we would, but with EBC there really isn't... If you want a high performance street pad go Remsa (instead of Green). If you want a track capable pad, go QFM A1RM (instead of Red) and if you want a full on race pad (which EBC don't really have....) then go either Project Mu Club Racer, or Project Mu H16-03, the later of which is the control pad of the V8 Supercars.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
So I'm thinking it might be time to update my front brake pads and I'm wondering what to replace the current EBC Redstuffs with. I have RDA front slotted discs. Mostly mountain driving with highway thrown in for good measure.

Recommendations people!

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
EBC Bluestuff for the Front and Yellows for the rear. :)

I have the Blues and they are good from cold, they dont seem to like track punishment if you have std calipers, but if you have Brembo's they will be fine. :)

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
I'd recommend QFM pads.. the HPX are nice.. only $80 per axle (half the price of P-mu, EBC, etc).

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
FRONT - RDA Gold Passivated slotted & dimpled (RDA7625G) - EBC RedStuff Pads on Front (DP3954C)
REAR - - RDA Gold Passivated slotted & dimpled (RDA7624G) - EBC RedStuff Pads on Rear (DP3987C)

Excellent Braking, stand up well to track days, no apparent fade doing 10 lap stints. Have done about 5k using this combo.

Previously used EBC GreenStuff Pads for about 22k before they wore out, which were OK for general driving, but when visiting the track I would change over to a set of RedStuffs that i had for track work, the last time I was out at Wakefield Park, I forgot to bring the RedStuff's, the GreenSuffs didn't like track work, suffered brake fade after 5 laps and they didn't recover from that day, overheated Greenstuff pads didn't have the same braking efficiency, didn't bite anywhere near the same after that day and quickly wore out after that. GreenStuff's are fantastic for general driving, just don't use them at the track and expect them to perform the same after that.

Brake Dust - Greenstuff's produce roughly half the dust that the original pads did, the RedStuff's are considerably better than the GreenStuff's. :)

EDIT: RDA Slotted Rotors have had a reputation with some members of warping, I have hammered my Gold Passivated @ 10 + track days & 30K road kilometres and had no issues at all with warping, none. (as mentioned by Derek below)

My Evaluation of RDA Slotted & Dimpled Golds RDA7625G after 5+ years and over 60k

My RDA's have finally developed the dreaded RDA warp, so have a new set + matching set of EBC RedStuffs sitting on my desk waiting for my weekend warrior to do his thing.

:D So it only took countless track-days and 5 years of punishment to kill them, so they get a big from me ! :D

**EDIT**

Make that 7+ years, I just checked my build thread...

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

When the Galant had the original brakes, I put some EBC Yellows in for a track day. Lasted all of 40 minutes. Hard Braking into a corner and the pads shattered. Put in some EBC Green. Got hot, massive fade.

Changed over to the Brembo setup. DBA 4000 Rotors up front (steer clear of RDA's prone to warping). Evo standard rotors on back. Hawk DB60 pads all around. Evo 8MR Master Cylinder installed also (.25 Inch larger). Awesome braking for the track.

But very loud when cold.

Top Bottom