break clunking noise?

G

Unregistered
Hi there,
just got the legnum back on the road after replacing the rear ayc diff to an lsd diff and its been running great, till the over side front brakes(I beleive) started to squeek one day for about 4 km then stopped.

Now I can feel and hear a clunking sound coming from the drivers side front wheel when I press on the brake pedal reasonably hard.

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and, does anyone have any suggestions of what may be the causes etc
  • loose brake calipers?
  • loose wheel nuts?
  • rear lsd diff having teething problems with front diff?
  • car has done 90k are the breaks due for work?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Most LSD's will clunk fairly regularly. Is it definitely coming from the front of the car?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Most LSD's will clunk fairly regularly

Yup.... And it makes people look at you weird like your car is broken :ROFLMAO:

But that noise should only come from the rear (I'm assuming you replaced the rear)

Sounds more like CV's or wheels hubs?

More importantly, which LSD did you put in :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I ASSUME you're talking about the brakes? Not that you've broken your passenger, which caused them to squeak for 4kms? Then you went on to break the driver's side pedals (which is a little odd, 'cause I've never heard of passenger-side pedals...) which I can strongly recommend against, especially when the car's moving :banghead:

You slow your car down using the brakes. Breaking your car is a bad thing; it means its broken.

All jokes aside, misspelling means if people ever go looking for a thread they will be unable to find it because the search terms they've used won't match. No, this isn't an English class, but please guys, its important that you can at least spell basic things like this :(

Only thing I can add to help with your problem is to maybe have someone sit in the car with you while you get it to make the noise, preferably someone who knows about cars. When my drive shaft was loose I could have sworn the sound was coming from the passenger footwell, but it was coming from slightly behind and under me... As soon as I realised where it was coming from it was easily fixed - it was finding the source that was the hard part.

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the spelling tip, didn't intentionally mean to give you brain cancer Trevor.
The LSD rear diff came from a late model auto legnum compliments '' justplainnuts''

gonna drop it into brakes plus tomorrow they are really cheap and know what their doing.

so with the LSD rear diffs, are they noisy? mine seems fine!

G

Unregistered
they are really cheap and know what their doing.

Reminds me of the performance triangle. You can have it cheap, you can have it fast, or you can have it reliable. Pick 2 ;)

G

Unregistered
loose brake caliper,
the bolts that hold it to the hub.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Well the diff will be an open diff, not an lsd, so it won't be that unless the diff isn't mounted properly.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant

Mechanical LSDs can be very noisy. Think of the noise that it would make if you did up every bolt in the rear end by hand. That's pretty much the sound.

Viscous LSDs will almost always be 100% silent until they die.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Thanks for the spelling tip, didn't intentionally mean to give you brain cancer Trevor.
The LSD rear diff came from a late model auto legnum compliments '' justplainnuts''

gonna drop it into brakes plus tomorrow they are really cheap and know what their doing.

Ah, so its a Type - V diff.... It should be silent then

Gly might be right with the brake caliper too

G

Unregistered

If it came from Benny (Just Plain Nuts) its probably the standard diff out of a '99 Galant Type V Manual (but the transmission type doesn't have anything to do with the diff). Unless he's pulled the diff out of his super, for some reason.

G

Unregistered
It's the ABS brakes! it only happens when the traction control applies, I think its the fronts or maybe even just one in particular.
Not sure how to fix. I do think its mechanical as opposed to the ecu, because it was happening before the new rear diff went in, to a lesser extent.
I was under the impression it was an LSD rear diff could be open though. Its silent and a lot lighter than the ayc that it replaced.

Top Bottom