can anyone lend me a moonroof panel for a few hours?

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
hi, as some of you probably read in my other threads i need to get my car back through a identity check, unfortunatly the moon roof was smashed and i havent been able to find a replacement one...

i was planning on getting a plastic replacement made up (by a place that does plastic windscreens for boats and classic cars etc) but transport SA in all their wisdom has said that i can only do this AFTER its passed the identity inspection, as in order to pass the inspection it has to be fitted with a factory standard glass panel (basically im being punished for trying to do things legally, as i bet if id never applied for a permit to fit a plastic panel they never would have checked for it anyway) ..

so basically, can someone lend me the panel for a few hours to pass the inspection? im going to get the plastic one made up (will get it tinted to match the original), so you can borrow that one while i have the glass one.

i havent booked an inspection yet, as i have to sort out some other issues first, but will probably be doing so within the next month.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
robert

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Robert,
that sounds like a shit of a situation as replacing that panel will involve a lot of work removing the whole headlining of teh car and removing motor mechanisms will it not!? Not something someone is likely to let you do to their car I would imagine... sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like you may need to source a replacement or convince regency that you can have the plastic one permenantly.

G

Unregistered
how was it smashed? was it like that when u bought the car or in the process of shipping it over here??

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
its actually very simple to remove..

the glass panel is glued onto a thin metal frame underneath its perimiter, which then bolts onto the actuating mechanisms..

there are 6 bolts on the frame that need to be unbolted.. then the panel can just be pushed out through the top of the car..

it might be a fidely job , but nothing serious, and definitly nothing involving removing motors or anything..

its pretty much unbolt/ remove/ replace/ redo bolts..

someone appears to have ran along the car :(... bent the bonnet pretty badly.. smashed the windscreen and the moonroof...

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
convince regency that you can have the plastic one permenantly.

ironically thats why im so worried about it

i contacted the head of vehicle modifications at regency, apparently i cannot fit plastic because the car must be factory standard to pass the identity check.. but i can fit plastic permanantly AFTER the check..

now im paranoid about it because, now they know the moonroof was smashed, im sure they will make sure to check the moonroof now :(

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Wow that sucks! Hope that was before you paid for a car in perfect nick :(

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
heres some pics showing what i mean, just the metal frame under the glass, and the 3 bolt holes on each side where bolts have to be removed to take the panel out..

so nothing serious like removing lining or motors etc.. just 6 bolts total..

15092010.jpg

15092010_002.jpg

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Seems pretty straightforward, unfortunately I don't have one in my car. Hopefully someone will come forward and help ya out - shouldn't have bothered asking Regency about the plastic one :p

Top Bottom