Can't get gearbox off!

G

Unregistered
I am replacing the clutch on my 96 VR4 but it won't budge. Have removed everything and released the trust bearing but still no movement. Do you have to remove transfer box as well? If anyone got any ideas would be appreciated.

G

Unregistered
I am replacing the clutch on my 96 VR4 but it won't budge. Have removed everything and released the trust bearing but still no movement. Do you have to remove transfer box as well? If anyone got any ideas would be appreciated.

Yes you have to take the transfer case off, there is a bolt in behind there. Also you have to remove the starter motor.

G

Unregistered
karl can you take pic while your doing this?

G

Unregistered
gearbox

it may be the same as the evo clutch units.
You need to remove the rubber boot where the fork comes out.
there you will access the pressure plate bolts. undo these one at a time whilst rotating the motor round.
There is a circlip holding the pressure plate to the thrust bearing and it snaps in tight.
then to remove the fork there was aten mm bolt holding in the pivot shaft, take it out and slide it out of the box housing.
after spending two hours one day this was the only way i managed to get my box off the engine.
The drive shafts on mine has one that goes through the transfer and pokes out the other side, the other front shaft then goes over the shaft poking out. transfer just bolts onto box alone but mine converted to front wheel drive only for a lancer coupe.
someone let me know i this is any help, currently getting my 6a13tt 4wd auto converted to FTO 6a12 box with evo guts.

G

Unregistered
Thanks will try taking transfer box off, does it just slide off once bolts off or is it like cv's and have a snap ring and lever off.

G

Unregistered
Thanks will try taking transfer box off, does it just slide off once bolts off or is it like cv's and have a snap ring and lever off.

Yeah same as a CV, its a real pain. You
ll struggle to shift it with a hammer or lever, plus you dont want to bend the shaft or the seal. I did mine using the members guide on CVR4, and I ended up buying some longer bolts to thread though the other direction and force it off, was the only way i could do it. I have done it that way 4 times now and its easy--er :ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
pops off

the whole box should come straight off then i used a jewlers screw drier to work the clip off the bearing. even putting the clutch on is easier when assembled in the bellhousing. No need to allign up the shaft of the clutch plate and the pressure plate perfectly to get the box back on as you will have it all assembled ready to just lign up the spiggots on flywheel also the garbox to motor guides then add bolts.

Top Bottom