Can't hold +8psi [SOLVED]

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
It wouldn't be helping. But our cars are not great on fuel. Mine does need a retune but I'm not expecting it to drop down too much.
IMG_7067.PNG

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Well I guess that's not too bad then, just expected less on 5psi with very gentle driving all highway kms.
What app/product do you use to track this Gav?

Tim
My stock vr4 gets low 8s on the highway with cruise set at 100 kph gps, but it's combined economy isn't much better than Gav's.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
2004 Ford Territory 4 sp Dual fuel
2006 Ford Territory 6 sp Dual fuel
Not too worried about the economy tbh, ill be trying to improve it but I just raised it incase it was an indicator of my problem :)
Can't get it over 8psi, I ran new vacc. Hose from wastegate to wastegate and ran put the MBC inline then to the intake (bypassing the engine hardlines) Is there something I need to modify on the actuators to get it to hold over 8psi?
If there was a leak small enough to not effect driving wouldnt you expect to hear it bursting out 8psi like a blow off?

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Nothing needs to be done with the actuators. They will go all the way upto 16-18psi. Unfortunately I can't help with the mbc setup as im running the 3 port setup and tubes by steve. Most people rip out mbc/ebc and go the 3port option

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Thanks, will look into three port now.
Tempted to just block off the wastegate/MBC boost line and gently open throttle to see what how much pressure it makes, without breaking things of course.. I'll try a boost leak tester tomorrow!

Reactions: Gav

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Double post!
The three port looks good, I gather I will need to learn how to interface(tune) with the ECU in order to use it?
Seems like an EBC at a reasonable $$ pretty much.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Have you up even upgraded your stock bov yet ?

Because before checking for vacuum leak realistic that should have been changed regardless, nearly everyone I know just upgrades their bov with a evo 8 mr bov, alot of the time they leak air the stock ones and some alot, and if your planning to mod the car its stupid keeping the stock one.

So id be doing that first.

Also have you or anyone before you, took off the trottlebody ? Because if so theres a gasket between trottlebody and intake that ive heard some people when reinstalling they install that gasket the wrong way, because theres only one way for it to be installed.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
I would go a turbosmart kompac bov over the evo8 one. Similar price and will definitely hold boost if you get it tune. I've seen some evo ones start to leak around the 16-18psi range

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Ive already got the evo one on order :) thx . I'm not gonna be going down an extreme power route with this particular legume. Gonna be a bush bashin work car but I want to do the basic mods and at least eliminate any failed components and tidy everything up. If I love the car might invest in a garage queen version :p
Just finished my boost leak kit, waiting for it to cure (the Toyota surf is pretty excited to get the treatment )
Used storm water stepdown adaptors for universal fitment

IMG_20170915_151532.jpg

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
I believe it is the blow off valve, but still waiting for replacement part.
Intercooler Been replaced and all clamps retensioned BOV only thing i havent changed.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Evo BOV Fitted, still maxing out at 8PSI though.
-shrug-
After investigation, the little screw on top of the throttle body definitely seems to leak a bit but I presume that is its job..(Idle control:s) ? /needtofindadiagram, might have to get a shop to do a professional leak test to help me identify all the leaks so I can just fix everything at once...

It still drives like the absolute clappers, but it bugs me that there is something NQR :mad:

G

Unregistered
Evo BOV Fitted, still maxing out at 8PSI though.
-shrug-
After investigation, the little screw on top of the throttle body definitely seems to leak a bit but I presume that is its job..(Idle control:s) ? /needtofindadiagram, might have to get a shop to do a professional leak test to help me identify all the leaks so I can just fix everything at once...

It still drives like the absolute clappers, but it bugs me that there is something NQR :mad:

The idle adjustment screw (Base Idle Set Screw - BISS) should not leak the and neither should the seals either side of the butterfly shaft, hence I put this kit together:

https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/throttle-butterfly-shaft-seal-kits.13963/

You may also find leaks where the injectors enter the lower manifold which can be diagnosed with soapy water spray and a boost leak tester.

https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/fuel-injector-seal-kits-inc-internal-filters.12683/

Both very common leaks but usually shouldn't affect things as much as you say. Might still be worthwhile replacing in the hunt to eliminate everything though. Also check the brake booster hose coming off the back of the manifold, most I've seen are deteriorating there.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Okay, So I have fixed the major leak which was the BISS screw seal, haven't run second leak test but max PSI is remaining the same however comes on much nicer.
I did notice that the gauge which is fed by wires so I assumed it was ECU somewhere (I didn't install the gauge) However it just runs to a little fitting in the engine bay with a vacc hose connection. This is fed from a T piece on the line coming from the intake manifold next to the brake booster.
sooooo I presume its currently installed correctly?

Current situation:
maximum possible boost read is 8psi with MBC set to maximum.
When running with MBC set to minimum its maxing about 5psi
When running no MBC, no solenoid (intake straight to the wastegate) max is 4psi.

No issues with idle,revving, running. I can take it up to 180 pretty easily it doesn't have any symptoms other than the boost not increasing high as I would expect it to.
Not knowing much about F.I I am guessing there is either:
-Inaccurate boost readings
-Exhaust Leak at the manifold? I can't hear any leaks the exhaust has a nice deep bumble, not very loud.
-Gasket or seal leaks, but this would have to be pretty severe to prevent holding over 8psi, so unlikely... In theory I would expect other symptoms.
-Turbo failure? Probably would notice other symptoms.
That all I can come up with so far :l Nothing seems to fit though, halp

G

Unregistered
Refer to these diagrams, the line you are currently teed into goes to the blow off valve and is the common location for gauges or electronic boost controller MAP sensors. An alternative location is shown in the second diagram, but really they both work the same. It sounds like your gauge is fed by a hose that runs all the way into the cabin, it may be worthwhile check that's connected properly at the gauge end (or its controller/sensor) and the hose doesn't have any splits.

I can't remember, but do you still have the factory boost solenoid installed? If running a separate boost controller you need to take that all out of the system, rip all the hoses out for that and start fresh. It will simplify things greatly.

Another place to check for leaks is where the Y-pipe attaches to the turbo outlet. There are some fat o-rings inside there which often have chunks taken out of them from careless re-installation.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Yeah that would be the spot, its a little vacc. nipple in the engine bay which is an "extension" from the gauge (just wires running through firewall to the little vacc unit) I've replaced all the vacuum lines.
I don't even have a factory boost solenoid lol, nope.
I've wondered about those metal connections, Would be able to soap water test those though with a bit of throttle? Saves trying to block other end of the turbos.
I guess theres no obvious answers yet >:
See how the leak test tomorrow, will update here

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
Run leaktest. No major leaks, very quiet hiss near throttle body but it maxed at 11psi. At which point I could hear whooshing from the pod filter. Bov?
Gauge plumbed in place of wastegates.
So possibly the turbo outlets, wastegates, bov or ghosts

IMG_20171019_111414.jpg
IMG_20171019_111423.jpg
IMG_20171019_111456.jpg

G

Unregistered
Check the hose for the fuel pressure solenoid coming off the front of the plenum just after the throttle, right behind the gauge in your photos, and that the solenoid is all plumbed in correctly.

Noise from pod could be the BOV or the bypass hose from the factory boost solenoid is still feeding back to the intake from somewhere, but where you've got the gauge there looks like that's all taken out of the equation.

Upload a bunch more photos and perhaps someone will spot something out of place. :)

Top Bottom